Planning advice
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Starting A Private Allotment Site

• 4 Replies

weedme

Starting A Private Allotment Site
« on: March 14, 2009, 22:13 »
I am currently in the process of purchasing some land. It is passed/listed as agricultural land on the deeds. does anybody know if it is possible to start letting out this land as allotments or has anybody gone through the process of starting his or her own private allotment.
would really appreciate some advice and experience asap eg. would i need planning approval from local council etc. and i understand there may be grants available. would anybody have any ideas??? look forward to hearing from you all.

thank you, weedme

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Starting A Private Allotment Site
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 21:45 »
Good luck with it.  I'm sure there must be members here who may be able to give you some advice !

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 06:02 »
I would think you would need planning on this as your going to need access from the road, Sounds like a great idea there will be other things to think about as well such as a water main around the site, elf and safety risk assements as your providing a service, Insurance's ermm this is to name but a few. 

Sounds like a great project to take part in and i wish you all the best. I would love to be part of a project like this.
Thanks
Kris

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:25 »
Can't offer any advice, I'm afraid, but I am curious as to where you are located... might put my name down!  :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 09:02 »
In addition to the above comments, you might find some useful info on the Allotments Regeneration Initiative website http://www.farmgarden.org.uk/ari/library/

If your council has a lotty officer they may be able to offer some guidance even if you're not going to let it out via the council - they can say they've worked with local landowners to meet demand, and you get advice. 

It may also provide a source of income indirectly, e.g. access to NHS funds from the local PCT, or funds from a ward committee - though I imagine both of those would want a certain commitment for length of time you'll provide the land.

You'll also need to work out a system for managing the site, rules for what is expected of tenants, how tenancies are terminated, so it's clear and you're not open to accusations of favouritism.  etc etc

Good luck!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Starting on an allotment-What do I do with the grass roots?

Started by Petite graine on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2007, 14:43
by Petite graine
xx
site changes

Started by jack russell on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 14:53
by Trillium
xx
What a great site!

Started by Teen76 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 03:44
by Trillium
xx
ugly site flowers

Started by garddwr on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post November 20, 2008, 16:19
by garddwr

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 34 queries.