Broody Silkie

• 10 Replies

WR1

• Experienced Member
Broody Silkie
« on: May 30, 2008, 22:15 »
I have got a broody silkie but she hasnt been with a cockerel so the eggs are not fertalized so it is pointless her sitting on them . This may seem dafft but as we want some geese for Christmas would we be able to put goose eggs under her so she would be sitting on them and it wouldnt be pointless. :D

From Catii
What came first the chicken or the egg ???

What do you put in the toaster ?

pushrod

Broody Silkie
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 01:17 »
No Catii, not pointless at all.I have heard of a silkie hatching a pair of goose eggs. However you would need to get the eggs under her as soon as she goes broody so she didn't lose interest part way through - which would still be a risk as i think the incubation period is nearer 30 days rather than a chickens 21.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Vember

Broody Silkie
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 08:45 »
Hi WR1
My light sussex sat 3 goose eggs for me last month, she did a great job and had been sitting 5 days before I put them under. It's down to the bird in the end if she'll sit long enough?

Only thing you will have to do is check she's turning them as they're alot heavier than a chook egg. I turned mine 3 times a day but I know for a fact she was doing it as well :D

I only got one hatch but that was fault on my part not the chicken.
The lady I got my goose eggs from had 4 under her Silkie so yep it'll be fine

I hope you give it a go, let me know how you get on

Vember

WR1

• Experienced Member
Broody Silkie
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:47 »
Ye I am going to give it ago because Rocky (the silkie) is sitting at the moment with nothing even under her . How many goose eggs do you think I can put under her because she is a bantam silkie so shes not very big.

What breed of goose eggs do you think would be best if we wanted to eat them for Christmas ?

From Catii

WR1

• Experienced Member
Broody Silkie
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 10:49 »
Many thanks for reply I will get some eggs today and give it a try .

Vember

Broody Silkie
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 11:01 »
I think 2 might be best if she's only little, see what 2 is like under her you can always pop another if it looks like she's got room :)

As for breed that I'm not sure about as mine are pets, but would imagine your bog standard farm goose would do

Sorry can't be of more help :)

Vember

WR1

• Experienced Member
Broody Silkie
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 19:47 »
Thanks vember great help .

I cant find any goose eggs near me so i think were putting turkey instead as there is a farm that i know that have turkey eggs but sadly they dont have goose eggs.

Do you think turkey would be ok under her ?

From Catii :)

Vember

Broody Silkie
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 20:59 »
ye pop a couple under she'll do a great job for you :D

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Broody Silkie
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 21:04 »
Go for it, my silkies hatched a couple of peacocks, 2 years ago, and treated them just like their own!! Trouble is the cheeky male peacock now thinks he's a chicken  :roll: and, not only covers the hens but, is at war  :twisted: with the cockerel...it's so bad that I have to keep Buster (the cock), in the run!! Hopefully once the testosterone has dwindled...they'll be friends again! It was lovely to see the little silkies treating the hunky peachicks like their own babies...and funnier to see the peachicks skwaking for their tiny "mums" when frightened or hungry!!

You shouldn't have the problem with the males as you plan to eat them so good luck!!

Judi  :wink:

millypede

Broody Bantam
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 22:11 »
Hi, I have a broody bantam who has been sitting for almost 3 weeks now.  She has a selection of eggs under her and seems very happy.  I was concerned that the eggs are such different types and that she might reject them if they hatch as they wouldn't look like her or my other chickens either.  The strange eggs are Wyandottes, Black Minorcas and Anconas, given to me by a friend who breeds chooks and knew that I wanted some variety within my flock.  My concern is whether I should be moving her to her own house and arc as she is sitting in one of the nesting boxes of the main chicken house with all the others.  Perhaps someone could advise me what is best.  Anxious chicken granny to be!! :D
Millypede, freelance chef and gardening nut!
Sharpen up your cooking skills with Camilla!

WR1

• Experienced Member
Broody Silkie
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 17:20 »
Hi Millypede iv been told that you should put them in a place were there on there own were they can sit happily in peace.

I couldnt get hold of any Turkey eggs either :( . So Iv had duck eggs to put under her . The ducks if they hatch should be a good layers and good for meat . So hopefully they will hatch !!

How many duck eggs do you think I could put under the Silkie ??

From Catii :D

xx
broody silkie i think

Started by taximan on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 20:46
by Chookiechook
xx
broody silkie - bald chest!

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 18, 2011, 23:36
by Lindeggs
xx
Broody Silkie Bantam any more ideas.

Started by KelnCraig on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 13:10
by Vember
xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 38 queries.