Good year for spuds.....

• 21 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Good year for spuds.....
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 07:45 »
My Rocket spuds were planted on 28th March, grew lots of foliage, and started to flower after 9 weeks. A week later I dug up 3 plants and got 3 small potatoes from them, which was a bit of an embarrassment as I'd invited a couple of friends round for a meal featuring home-grown new potatoes!  :blush:

2 weeks later I dug some more up to take with us on holiday - much better yield, mostly good new potato size (although some a bit larger) and it was generally agreed they had surprisingly good texture and flavour.

There were signs of the dreaded eelworm (PCN) attack but it doesn't seem to have affected them as much as Pentland Javelin and Charlotte were in previous years.

Pretty happy overall, especially as I was expecting to trade flavour for speed, although in the end they weren't spectacularly quick. Still plenty left to go at now.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Snoop

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 08:06 »
I've got far too many for just the two of us.

2.5 kg of Dunluce planted 5 April: 29 seed potatoes. Started picking 21 May unbelievably. Still seven to go. They're now whoppers. Have given quite a few to friends.

2.5 kg of Charlottes planted 10 April: 48 seed potatoes. Foliage now collapsing. So I'm guessing ready to dig up.

2.5 kg of Picassos planted 10 April: 35 seed potatoes. Foliage really vigorous. Miles taller than the Charlottes got and still a vibrant green.

No where near as many as DD, but I'm feeling outfaced already. ???

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:07 by Snoop »

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 08:07 »
Our Aron Pilot were planted out on 6th April and when we had a furtle under one of the plants we were disappointed with only a handful of tiny potatoes. Might have another furtle today and see if there is any improvement. I haven't bothered with second earlies this year just planted 2 rows of Aron Pilot 3 rows of Cara and 1 row of Desiree. Wondering wether I should have done more earlies and less main crop now.  ???

RaptorUK

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 08:36 »
I've never grown spuds before and this is my first year with an Allotment,  I don't eat many potatoes so I decided to grow a few.  I sowed four 4m rows and tried to stagger them.  So far I've just furtled around under one plant in the earliest row and have retrieved just under half a kilo of very nice, slightly earthy and very creamy International Kidney potatoes.

If that is any indication of the rest then I'm going to have far too many potatoes  :)

Totty

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 21:30 »
Have 40 bags planted up with mainly second earlies, but not quite ready yet. Had a furtle under a few of the Jelly plants which are in the ground and they are massive. They were described as very high yeilding, but as they are a main crop Ill be leaving them a while longer.
Have emptied a pot each of Kestel and Amour. Both of which were lovely!

Totty

al78

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 23:55 »
I've used about one fifth of a row so far over the last fortnight. I have one 6 metre row of 1st earlies, one 6 metre row of 2nd earlies and two 7 metre rows of maincrop. Once the first earlies are finished I am thinking of harvesting all the second earlies at once and storing them as last year, when I left them in the ground to take as needed, I found about a third of them were unusable due to slug damage. It seems there is a trade off between harvesting and risking them going off before getting round to eating them, or not harvesting them and risking something else getting to them first. Maybe an application of slug nematodes would help.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 08:39 »
I grow mine in a grid, so either 11 short rows at 1.2m or 4 4m rows. So far 3 spuds (admittedly from a bag) = 3.35kg. If they are all that good I will have plenty to store in the garage. Lady Christl and Pentland Javelin are dying back now so I might take some of them up at the weekend.

Really need space for some leeks!

xx
Good Old Spuds!!

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 20, 2008, 20:41
by jaycee21
xx
Are dustbins any good for growing spuds in?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2008, 17:34
by happy chick
xx
but my courgettes were so good last year...

Started by earthing83 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 20:41
by mumofstig
xx
Was it just me or was it not a good year for growing.

Started by grasshoppergardenservices on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 23, 2013, 17:00
by Muls

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 37 queries.