Good year for spuds.....

• 21 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Good year for spuds.....
« on: June 28, 2014, 22:10 »
So dug up more of my second earlies. I have 5 1/2 rows plus 2 1/2 of maincrop. I dug up 2 rows today and had just over 12 kilos of spuds-loads more than last year! Think we will be eating lots of potato based meals....

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
Re: Good year for spuds.....
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 22:25 »
Yes , its my first time growing veg this season and I've put far too many in ! I've still got two rows of first earlies to be pulled and we've been eating them nearly every night for a fortnight  :D
Then it's two rows of second earlies...they will be like jacket spuds by the time I get to them. Loads on each plant too. I think it's all the horse muck that was put on in November, about six inches of the stuff  all over the plot to help kill the weeds.

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 22:27 »
Miserable year round here as all my first and second earliess succumbed to blight.  I took a few to eat straight away, the rest are in the ground until next week.  The maincrop seem small, but so far blight free.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 22:32 »
So dug up more of my second earlies. I have 5 1/2 rows plus 2 1/2 of maincrop. I dug up 2 rows today and had just over 12 kilos of spuds-loads more than last year! Think we will be eating lots of potato based meals....

I've not started on my second earlies yet, but why did you dig up that many rows? I would not have thought they would have been mature enough for lifting for storage - mine certainly are not - and it's a lot to use as immature "new" potatoes. They would have been better lifted as you wanted to use them.

What do you call a "row" it varies from plot to plot. For me it's about 10 metres.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 22:34 »
Only about 5 m to a row here :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 22:38 »
Case in point!

I bet I get twice as much from my rows as you do from yours.  :tongue2:

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 22:42 »
Terrible year here :-(
Planted end of March, and then I think most of them drowned with the terrible weather early April. Only about 50% of the Ratte Salad have come through, 30% of the Wilja, and 10% of the blight resistant lates.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 23:03 »
My rows are about. 4.5m each and definitely reached maturity - foliage been dying back for quite a while now and spuds are pretty large. Left some  rows to see if they will get any bigger but doubt it. I grew both varieties last year and they store pretty well for a good few months in sacks under the bed in spare room lol

Spr0ut

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 23:09 »
Last year was good for spuds - still eating last years' Sarpo. I'm sick of 'em!

This year not so abundant. My supplier sent the seed potatoes one month late and I got blight early!

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 23:16 »
my first year on the allotment and just started them this week, digging as I need them They are a good size. I figured if I only dug them as I needed then they would be getting bigger in the ground and I'll get more. Very pleased with them anyway.
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

3759allen

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 01:50 »
i haven't even worked through my earlies that was grown in the tunnel yet. still got a 9m row outside and all the mains. think i may have over done it, but was working on how much i grew last year to what i needed this year.

if the foliage of the main potatoes are anything to go by there must be a bumper crop under there. they definitely look healthier plants than last year.

cadalot

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 06:21 »
Case in point!

I bet I get twice as much from my rows as you do from yours.  :tongue2:

And over 4 x mine as they are 2.4m long

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 06:28 »
It has been a good year down here, I have been digging my first earlies for a week now. Had a look at the Nicola's yesterday and they are nearly ready. I also dug up one of my Orla;s yesterday I was not expecting to find much but to my surprise there were masses of lovely spuds to be found, nearly twice as many as the Nicola.
Looks like I will be giving away lots of spuds this year. Still got three lots of main crop to look forward to. I defiantly  planted  to many potato's this year.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 07:29 »
And my rows are only 5ft  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 07:44 »
Think I may have too many.

Been lifting for two weeks now and only gone 6 plants in. Really heavy crop on the Casablanca, one root doing two days. Only a couple of hundred plants to go! The "b" word permitting, should see us and the family through to next year. May have a dibble at the Charlotte next.

xx
Good Old Spuds!!

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 20, 2008, 20:41
by jaycee21
xx
Are dustbins any good for growing spuds in?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2008, 17:34
by happy chick
xx
Really good year for potato?

Started by Bombers on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 17:50
by Goosegirl
xx
a good year for plums

Started by mr Isaccs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 08:45
by stompy

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 38 queries.