Buying chicks.

• 5 Replies

sophiejo

Buying chicks.
« on: May 20, 2010, 10:07 »
I have been thinking about getting some chickens since last year. Have reads lots, decided which coup to buy. Now for the chickens.
We have two children (six and four) and thought it would be brilliant for them to have some chicks. A Goldline, Sussex and maybe a couple of Maran's. I can get some 10-14 day olds now or wait for some day olds, do they change much in two weeks? Would I need to have them vaccinated? They won't have had Mareks at one day old.

Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Buying chicks.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:14 »
most small breeders don't vaccinate as the doses come in too big a quantity (1000 at a time). The vaccination process starts at 1 day old. Being vaccinated does not mean that your chicks will not get the illness but usually it shouldn't be too severe, however if these vaccines aren't administered properly (for example mareks must be used up within 1 1/2 hours of opening the vaccine otherwise it will be no good) then you might as well not bother. Are you planning on getting colour sexed? otherwise you could end up with cockerels. Do you have a brooder set up? Personally I would recommend you start with point of lays and then get chicks at a later stage if you want them.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:41 »
Sussex and Marans aren't sex-linked or auto sexing, so if you buy day-olds you run the risk (50/50 if you're lucky!) of buying cockerals.

As time goes on it is easier to tell the sex of the chicks by the growth of the feathers (in some breeds, the girls feather up much more quickly than the boys), and by comb and wattle development.  however this works best if you have a number you can compare them to.  If you only have one of a breed, then you have no comparison.

And, yes, there is a big difference between day-olds and two weeks.

These are chicks at about 3-5 days

And this is one of the white chicks at about 2 and a half weeks:

Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:15 »
I would go for pol first and once you feel that you want some more then i would think of chicks as it can be a lot of work caring for them ( i just found that out myself ). If you get chicks then go for ones a couple of weeks old as they are not as fragile. Good luck.

sophiejo

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 07:42 »
Thanks for all of your replies. I really appreciate it.
Sometimes you spend so long thinking and reading about things it is good to have an outside perspective! With the allotment, kids and volunteer work I am not sure I will have the time I would need to rear 4 chicks. We are now looking forward to getting some pol's next w/e and are so excited! Maybe when we have some first hand chicen experience we will get some chicks.
Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 07:51 »
don't forget to post photo's of them on the chicken chat pages - we all love looking at other peoples girls  :D

xx
buying chicks

Started by atomania on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 20:17
by atomania
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
please help im buying to day help

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 10:33
by alotment shed

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 37 queries.