Anglo-Chinese squash frame!

• 12 Replies

A. Fallowfield

Anglo-Chinese squash frame!
« on: January 27, 2011, 22:34 »
The Chinese lady two plots along gave me some spaghetti squash seeds, two sorts, the usual yellow oval variety and huge green ones that also have the name shark fin squash.
I had a look at her frame and constructed one from recycled bits; the big squashes are very heavy! :mellow:
Hers:

Mine:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Anglo-Chinese squash frame!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 23:24 »
What actually holds the squash up in the air, cos the canes don't look near enough together to do the job  :unsure:

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 10:41 »
What actually holds the squash up in the air, cos the canes don't look near enough together to do the job  :unsure:

You may well be right, but when I saw them growing they were just hanging unsupported.from what would be the centre bit on my frame!
Last year they escaped up a nearby tree and produced squashes! :ohmy:

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:06 »
It looks burglar proof to me... I bet none of the fruit near the inside was swiped.

I sometimes encourage my trailing butternut squash to share the bean frame - this seems to work well enough.  :)

I wish you luck with your construction. Let us know how you get on.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 11:11 »
It looks burglar proof to me... I bet none of the fruit near the inside was swiped.

I sometimes encourage my trailing butternut squash to share the bean frame - this seems to work well enough.  :)

Someone did swipe all the big squashes from the Chinese families two frames, and it had to be an inside job by someone with a car on the plots (eight foot fence) and market trader contacts. That narrowed it down to one, anyone got a stealth camera? :mad:

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 11:16 »

Someone did swipe all the big squashes from the Chinese families two frames, and it had to be an inside job by someone with a car on the plots (eight foot fence) and market trader contacts. That narrowed it down to one, anyone got a stealth camera? :mad:

I imagine squash would climb equally well up barbed-wire as strings. But you'd need to put a sign up (in Welsh) to remind people to take care.  8) I, of course, did not suggest doing such a thing!  :blush:

noshed

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 17:10 »
One of mine got up on the greenhouse roof to have its squashes
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

rubyrose

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 17:37 »
Hi   this is only our second year growing veg and i did grow cobnut and festival squashes last year but i just let them run on the ground.  Should they be grown up a frame? is it better to grow them up a frame? if anyone would like to give me advice please

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 17:38 »
mine are quite happy to grow on the goround, but they did try to grow up the hedge as well :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 22:35 »
Hi   this is only our second year growing veg and i did grow cobnut and festival squashes last year but i just let them run on the ground.  Should they be grown up a frame? is it better to grow them up a frame? if anyone would like to give me advice please

Ground or frame its all the same......  ;) People who use frames to grow them on are often aiming to save ground space for other crops I suspect.   8)

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 22:41 »

Ground or frame its all the same......  ;) People who use frames to grow them on are often aiming to save ground space for other crops I suspect.   8)

This is true, one of the reasons I rarely grow courgettes, it's easier to take your neighbours glut when offered! ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 22:42 »

This is true, one of the reasons I rarely grow courgettes, it's easier to take your neighbours glut when offered! ::)

You may be very short of them if your neighbours decides to rebalance the crops that they grow  ::)

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 04:07 »
My squash squeezed through the mesh floor of the pigeon coop and tried to grow squash in there. The pigeons had other ideas  :D

xx
just a frame

Started by cissie on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 13:10
by cissie
xx
Cold frame

Started by Brushcutter on Design and Construction

17 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 17:55
by JayG
xx
Use for an old Greenhouse frame

Started by Celtic Eagle on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post February 01, 2007, 16:31
by Aidy
xx
Using old climbing frame

Started by chillimummy on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post October 12, 2013, 09:57
by chillimummy

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 39 queries.