Anchoring a shed on a windy site

• 38 Replies

PennyS

• My website
Anchoring a shed on a windy site
« on: September 13, 2009, 22:22 »
Hello!
I'm just about to install a shed on my new allotment. 
I put a slab base down and have some pallets to raise it off them if necessary to keep everything nice and dry,
BUT I've been warned by one of the local farmhands that the site (was farmland, new to allotments) is really windy and he reckons all the nice new sheds that have been put up on the nice new allotments, will all blow over in the winter as none of them are anchored.  :ohmy:
Soooo as I want to keep my shed standing, what's my best bet for easily anchoring it.  I did consider putting some bags of heavy gravel etc inside it but that would reduce my storage area and defeat the object!!
Many thanks, Penny

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

tode

Re: Anchoring a shed on a windy site
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 22:51 »
If it's a ne-piece concrete slab, your could drill a hole in slab at each corner of the shed, and fix using heavy-duty wire tenders (sort with 2 screw-hooks).

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 00:51 »
Sink a fence post at each corner and bolt it to that? Some sort of wind break might help too.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 06:40 »
Tam has the right idea or just fill it up with lots of tools and store lots of spuds in there hahaha
Thanks
Kris

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 22:44 »
All sounds good to me! 

My kids are going to have a tiny table and chairs in there so it doesn't leave me as much room as I'd like (trade-off -  they are more likely to put up with staying down there longer if they can be entertained in the dry lol!).   I'll put heavy stuff in the corners where possible.

I'll try to work out which side the wind tends to come from, I can sort out some kind of wind break - good idea!

Thank you, Penny

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 00:19 »
Four 6' lengths of angle-iron driven into the ground (or with a spot of concrete well below ground level) and then screw through the angle iron into the shed corners. Look out for some old Dexion (I think it is called) shelving uprights....looks a it like giant mechanno - if you're as old as me & know what I am on about.  ::)

I've also installed a large water-butt (fills from the roof & weighs a ton when full). This is on the leeward side so if the shed does get nudged the wind will have to move a full water butt too.

[My shed stands on hefty concrete slabs but the wooden base is relatively low - bearers rest directly on the slabs] 
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Etherelda

• Experienced Member
    • http://fernanddavesallotment.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 17:58 »
If your roof can handle it, i've put a couple bags of sharp sand on the roof, its never blown over since, however now I need the sand, so I might have to swap the sand for soil, which is not as heavy. Time will tell!
"Do not sit supine in God's Waiting Room."

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 18:12 »
If your roof can handle it, i've put a couple bags of sharp sand on the roof, its never blown over since, however now I need the sand, so I might have to swap the sand for soil, which is not as heavy. Time will tell!

Most purchased sheds are quite light-weight these days - like mine. I doubt if the roof of mine, although timber, would stand the weight without bowing.  :(

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 19:19 »
Thank you for the great ideas.
Angle irons sounds like the best bet (it's on a paving slabs base), and wedging between water butts!
Not sure how sturdy the roof is, it's only a very cheap shed, but I do like the sharp sand idea!!
Ah meccano - that takes me back... used to love playing with my brother's.  I know what you mean by Dexion shelving, I get the idea.
What a wonderful forum this is. Thank you all!
Penny  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 19:56 »
I wish you luck anchoring the shed, Penny!  ;)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 21:54 »
Well the shed is up.   :happy: #
Got it from Wickes as "damaged" - cor they weren't kidding!  A delivery lorry had run into a batch of their sheds so got it cheap.  Bit of repair work done by hubby before we could actually put the thing together.  Haven't done the anchoring yet but am going to go with the metpost idea....
Now got to decide the colour scheme (oh yes).  Have you seen www.readersheds.co.uk? Where do I start?!

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 00:54 »
Well the shed is up.   :happy: #
Got it from Wickes as "damaged" - cor they weren't kidding!  A delivery lorry had run into a batch of their sheds so got it cheap.  Bit of repair work done by hubby before we could actually put the thing together.  Haven't done the anchoring yet but am going to go with the metpost idea....
Now got to decide the colour scheme (oh yes).  Have you seen www.readersheds.co.uk? Where do I start?!

Some fantastic sheds! Thanks for the link...... when I retire..... ::)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 20:08 »
Got it!
Inspiration struck when I couldn't sleep the other night!  The shed is on  paving slab base.  It's aligned up one end, and at the other end the slabs are longer than the shed.  On the lined-up end I'm bolting on some pallets with a return on each so that gives "wings" (not literally I hope) to the shed and I can anchor the pallets with stakes and may add in a metpost arrangement after.  Should give it a bit of stability, some extra storage and it shouldn't cost anything.  Will post pictures when it's done. 
Off to do this tomorrow...! Penny  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 21:40 »
Sounds interesting PennyS. We'll look forward to seeing the developments........

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 18:24 »
Well it's finished, more or less, and seems to be watertight.
I'm having trouble uploading, hope the picture attaches itself.
The pallets are attached to the shed with screws and nails, but I still want to anchor the pallets into the ground with metpost or dexion supports or somethign like that, it is a windy site!
Thanks everyone for your help and inspiration,
Shed finished.jpg

xx
New greenhouse on a windy site. What base to use?

Started by lassie on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post December 30, 2012, 05:07
by Trillium
xx
Anchoring a polytunnel down

Started by Miamivice on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post December 08, 2015, 19:08
by oceanic
clip
polytunnel anchoring it down

Started by Dantheman on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 11:57
by jameswburke
xx
Anchoring a greenhouse

Started by Casey76 on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post April 12, 2016, 00:33
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 35 queries.