Any One Know About Wells + Natural WAter

• 3 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
« on: June 18, 2008, 20:14 »
I have a shared water supply with the farm next door but he is using the existing supply lines to change to a natural water source that is unsuitable for human consumption so we have to have new pipes laid (and the road ripped up and replaced at our expense)  :evil:   Worst thing is - he bought the land with the pond off us for very little as it just flooded!!!!

Anyway........ on the land registry map I noticed a 'well' marked in the field next to the house - dont recall seeing any sign of it when Ive been in the field.  

We also have a huge outbuilding 18 foot behind the house and it has a square section cut out at ground level about 1 metre square.  There is always water dripping in and a couple of fern type plants in it.  Could this be a spring?

I have emailed the water board and the environmental agency and neither had any advice on how I could look into these sources further.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?  If we have to pay for a new supply I would prefere a natural eco friendly supply if it was an option.  I can post a picture of the "potential spring" if it will help.
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:15 »
I would suggest you'd need an independant environmental survey done.

It could be that the water table has changed or it's become polluted.

But it would be nice to be free of the water companies. All you need now is to strike oil and you're made for life !!

Rob  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 14:32 »
we found a covered over well by our back door when repairing a cracked sewer pipe. It was a Victorian construction and beautifully made. My husband contacted the Water Board (why, I don't know  :roll: ) and they told him to break out the bottom of it which he did.  I think we could have used the well water for watering the garden but too late now  :roll:  The water board were concerned we'd drink it and catch Weills disease :evil:

I think if the water in the spring is good, and you could get the local council enviro dept to check it (They come out and take some samples, and it costs a few quid, but it would reassure you about the water quality or not, and if it's ok you could water the garden with it and flush toilets.  

They guy at the end of our road, also with a well, has kept his and uses his for watering.  I wish my husband had not said anything to the water people

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 02:57 »
Sometimes your local well driller can best advise you on where water is likely to be found. He'd also recognize possible sources, like this small wet patch if it is indeed a well. He'd be familiar with local bylaws regarding digging wells, possible pollutants in the area, etc. You'd have to pay his initial visit but it would be well worth it if you can find someone who knows his stuff. Its possible you could get a well dug which would supply laundry and garden water if it's not potable (human consumption), and just simply buy pure drinking water from water specialty places. We went through getting a new well a year after we moved here and we're still reeling from the cost.

xx
Well water

Started by Balaton Ben on Design and Construction

19 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 21:25
by Balaton Ben
xx
rain water

Started by lfcevans on Design and Construction

15 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 12:04
by lfcevans
xx
Managing water

Started by coldandwindy on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post September 01, 2021, 19:09
by grinling
xx
Water magic

Started by DIGGER on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post February 06, 2017, 22:24
by grinling

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 34 queries.