Creating a seedbed

• 7 Replies

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Creating a seedbed
« on: January 06, 2012, 23:30 »
Having got a bit fed up of a conservatory completely taken over by small pots full of germinating plants (technically it was my dear other half who got fed up), I've decided to create a seedbed up at the allotment - what do I need to bear in mind to create one? I was thinking of setting up a raised bed and filling it with some topsoil from around the plot.
How big should it be?
Should I put in lots of compost?
Any other tips...?
Thank you!

Fisherman

Re: Creating a seedbed
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 06:31 »
Hi Kajazy
I have not actually made or used an outdoor seed bed but if I were to I would create a raised bed maybe 1Mt x 2Mt but the size does depend on how many seeds you intend to sow. Ensure that it has good drainage by by installing some sort material below the compost (stone, drainage tubes etc.) Then I would fill it with either a good multi-purpose compost or John Innes seed sowing compost (recipe below) to a depth of about 6"-8". I think I would also make a cloche type cover for it in order to have some sort of control over temperature and watering.

John Innes Seed Sowing Compost
Sterilised Loam   2 parts   
Peat                      1 part and,
Sharp sand      1 part

Hope that helps

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 08:20 »
Bear in mind that you probably won't be able to substitute the seedbed for indoor / heated greenhouse propagation and bringing on of plants.  Even with a cloche the temperatures will get too low.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 08:26 »
It would be useful to know what plants you're thinking of.

As Yorkie implies, the leap from a conservatory to a seed bed is a big downward one, temperature wise.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 11:14 »
Thanks all - it was generally just for brassicas and leeks, I think. Do those do ok in an outdoor seedbed? I built my other raised beds with long corner poles so that I could attach netting/fleece/polythene as needed, and was thinking of doing the same for the seedbed

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 11:48 »
They should be fine, but you won't be able to do the early sowings - that's all  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 11:52 »
Brassicas and leeks do just fine in a seed bed  :D

At school we grow them in a separate half bed, where there are few stones and the soil is friable.

We cover it with plastic in the winter once it is wet, which helps it stay nicely damp but not saturated, and also helps warm it up a bit. Any weed seeds germinate and can easily be removed.

The seeds are sown thinly in labelled rows about early March (important as it is easy to confuse brassicas) thinned out as needed and then moved to their permanent places when large enough and space is available.

Hope that helps
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sion01

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 18:01 »
brassicas will be better in a seed bed outside as they will be stockier as the ones sown in higher heat(as some clever person told me on this site last year) become spindly and are more prone to being knocked about by the wind.

I'd swerve topsoil if you can afford not to use it as you'll just import weed seed which will find it's way there by it's own.

xx
Creating our veggie patch

Started by buttonnose82 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 20:03
by mumofstig
xx
Creating our own apple trees

Started by Pip Judgeford on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 10:01
by DD.
xx
Creating a veggie patch

Started by buttonnose82 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 21:50
by rozalia
xx
Creating raised beds... is it worth it?

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

55 Replies
Last post December 09, 2011, 17:43
by Dantheman

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 35 queries.