Non sprouting potatoes

• 11 Replies

Fen

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Five feet above sea level, between Ely and Cambridge
Non sprouting potatoes
« on: October 07, 2013, 20:33 »
I tried a certain variety ,sold in a major supermarket, last week whilst away from home.
I would like to grow some in the veg garden but find that the variety is not being made available for gardeners.
I guess that the tubers will have been treated (gassed) so that they do not produce shoots.
A few years ago I bought a different variety, which had been treated, and got about 5% of tubers with enough sprouts to plant.
Is there anything I can do, washing etc. to improve the chances of using these potatoes for seed.

gobs

Re: Non sprouting potatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 00:26 »
It sounds early to me, especially with treated ones. Patience, they will sprout.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Fen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 20:22 »
See recent topic "Jelly Potatoes- New Variety"
This was the variety I bought to eat  and found that the seed was only available to farmers.
I kept some in the dark and cool and they have started to shoot. (The tubers are much bigger than the seed tubers I have just bought)
No doubt they will have treated to stop them shooting.
Will they be Ok or will they produce only a small crop and be distorted. Has anybody else used supermarket eating potatoes for seed?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 20:43 »
Has anybody else used supermarket eating potatoes for seed?

This question is often asked.

Have a look at this thread: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101124.0
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

diospyros

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 21:07 »
OK, quite apart from the debate on whether it would be sensible to grow non-certified potatoes, there is a question here that I want to ask.  I wondered a similar thing when I was proposing growing Coriander from seed from an Asian supermarket.

What possible thing could "they" do in terms of applying a chemical or gas that would render a potato completely and permanently unable to grow, but still be safe to eat?  I think irradiation might work, but is this allowed?  Seeds may be a different question, I guess roasting for example a peanut leaves it still edible but unviable.  But I think you could tell from the way it is presented and tastes that it has been "processed".

Just curious really.

diospyros

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 21:12 »
Oh, and I have actually grown a potato plant from a supermarket sprout, to show DS2.  It is currently on the kitchen windowsill and looks for all the world like it has blight.  It will be disposed of in my non-production back garden just in case!

Totty

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 07:04 »
Just buy seed potatoes from certified stock, there is a time and a place for being tight/frugal in the garden.

Totty

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 09:29 »
In my previous life as a chemist, the company I worked for manufactured a chemical to stop potatoes sprouting in storage. It wasn't something I wanted contact with and I avoided crisps from manufacturers that I definitely knew used pots treated with it (although I'd guess everyone did use it). Before anyone asks I've no idea as to its use now.

edit: just done a search and discovered its use was revoked in 2000 due to insufficient data to perform an adequate risk assessment.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:34 by Mr Dog »

Fen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 09:42 »
Potatoes, and some onions, in storage are treated with low levels of Ethylene gas which slows down the development of shoots. My stored potatoes grow long white shoots in their sacks. The ones we buy, which don't have shoots have probably been treated.
Google "Gassing Potatoes" for more information.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 09:44 »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 09:54 »
In the previous topic on Jelly spuds

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=112781.msg1288129#msg1288129

mumofstig also gave us a link to an ebay seller:

link  here

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
  • Always willing to learn
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 09:58 »
wilkos have lots of good seed spuds as do home bargins :) i had 60 delivered from http://www.thompson-morgan.com/ very good quality to :)
Hi ho, Hi ho
It's off to work we go
(whistles)
Hi ho, Hi ho, Hi ho

xx
OK to eat sprouting potatoes dug up now?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 07, 2012, 18:25
by gobs
xx
Sprouting Potatoes

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 15:49
by casper
xx
sprouting potatoes

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2019, 08:44
by samuria
question
Sprouting potatoes

Started by tode on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 13, 2009, 09:45
by Alby

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 36 queries.