French Dwarf Beans

• 5 Replies

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
French Dwarf Beans
« on: April 19, 2012, 16:33 »
Hi there

Just sown these  french dwarf beans a couple of weeks ago, should I pot them individually or will they be okay in the modules till end of may when they can go out, a couple are really tall and look like fast growers.  They are on kitchen windowsill so will take them to allotment greenhouse now they have germinated.  You may notice melons in the same tray I run out of space so was just going to repot into singular 6cm pots and keep them on windowsill.  I dont know what a singular french bean plant is like.  So whether I will need to resow or be able to sow direct a couple of weeks after these I dont know if anyone could advise.

Also does the veg and kitchen waste trench underneath the beans really help, as bed has been prepped with fish blood and bone.  Is that suffice?
SAM_0609.JPG

Kleftiwallah

Re: French Dwarf Beans
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 16:50 »

The kitchen waste trench certainly does help.  It retains moisture and the bit of heat due to rotting helps the roots.

Any restriction in root growth will slow down the plant, it would help if you could pot on, but if you cannot, so be it.     Blood fish and bone is a slow release fertiliser and should be enough.    Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 17:20 »
They certainly will need bigger pots, but I rather think they will get leggy & drawn being indoors in the kitchen window.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 18:02 »
I agree with what DD has said Amanda they may end up a bit leggy you can see how fast they grow so might be worth sowing some more towards the middle/end of May ready to go out in June.

Your a bit late for a traditional bean trench ideally it should be done in late Autumn/early winter, I just line the trench with cardboard/newspaper and home made compost for French and Runner beans a couple of weeks before sowing and usually sow direct but might start a few off in the greenhouse towards the end of May.
Faff free zone!

Carrot Man

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 20:50 »
I won't be sowing mine for a couple of weeks yet
I use 'Prince', I find them nice and straight with a reasonably good length

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 13:42 »
Okay thanks, I will sow some more in May then or just sow direct end of May under a cloche.

Thanks
Amanda

xx
French Dwarf beans

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 26, 2017, 13:11
by AnneB
xx
french dwarf beans

Started by mat whitlock on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post May 07, 2016, 19:26
by sunshineband
xx
Dwarf french beans,how should they look?

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:56
by Abbeyview
xx
dwarf french beans

Started by captainhastings on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 16, 2013, 22:19
by captainhastings

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 35 queries.