Waiting Game

• 19 Replies

Hampshire Hog

Re: Waiting Game
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 11:09 »
Good topic for today as I look out at some 3 inches of snow covering my garden.
Luckily I was away on holiday somewhere warm when the major arctic weather hit.
My autumn sown garlic down the plot was looking happy this week when I checked it but nothing much else going on. Just bought some shallots and onions so hopefully be able to plant them this week. Agree that sowing a bit later is the best option at present. I often find that the generally advised successional sowing is thwarted when later sown crops race ahead giving me a glut rather than the steady supply that was intended. Hopefully we will have a warm April.
Cheers HH

Keep digging

jambop

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 09:02 »
Well here in south west France the cold weather will not go away ! We are having a bit of sleet today and temperatures are not going to be better than 14C for the next two weeks! Not normal for this time of year. I planted out some garlic last week in a deep bed and covered it with clear plastic to keep the rain off and hopefully keep the soil a little bit warmer. I would normally have had a chance to turn the main veg plot over but the ground is completely soaked and cold... just have to wait a bit longer  :lol:

al78

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 11:20 »
Looks like the waiting game will have to continue. Temperatures likely to stay below average over Easter and beyond. I've started brassicas and leeks indoors as they can handle the occasional frost when they get put outside shortly after germination.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 12:19 »
I have decided to wait until after my mini break the second week of April before I do anything....still got itchy fingers though, especially on a lovely sunny day like today.

madcat

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 10:07 »
I'll start leeks and sweet peas inside this weekend - now the bag of seed compost has defrosted - but I'll sit on my hands for the rest till after Easter.  Even the potatoes I put to chit in January are only just showing eyes ...
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
Help, we're new at this game

Started by rachel_rugrat on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 09:43
by ilan
xx
New to this game and looking for Potato advice.

Started by kingers on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 16, 2009, 22:06
by Salmo
xx
Leeks following harvested garlic - dangerous game?

Started by Spr0ut on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2014, 19:11
by mumofstig
xx
Waiting .....

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 13:10
by Lady Lottie

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 43 queries.