Village Flower Club Show - Today !

• 5 Replies

mrs bouquet

Village Flower Club Show - Today !
« on: August 04, 2018, 11:39 »
I haven't entered this for years, because I cannot be doing with all the back biting and gossip etc.
I know exactly who will win what.  ie: the man who grows the carrots, will get very hissy if he doesn't win. :mad: :mad: ( Last year he was beaten by my daughter, who just entered a few scrawny things from her plot.)
His wife will win the best carrot cake.  The lady who does flower arranging, will win, as always, (with the allium seed heads she took from my garden yesterday !!!!)
The lady, who is an ex-school teacher of art and crafts, and runs the WI craft club, will win 3 of the craft classes.
The man who donates a camera for a prize in the photography section, will win it back - again.
Etc, etc.
   The rest will all be running around like headless chickens.

A brief summary of the show, now you know why I don't go in anything.  I shall stroll down later and have a bit of cake and a cuppa.   :) :) :)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

wighty

Re: Village Flower Club Show - Today !
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 17:18 »
I personally wouldn't even bother to go.   Get them next year to introduce a few new classes which is what our  village did and it got everybody interested again.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 18:42 »
Oh dear, that doesn’t sound like much fun, who are the judges? Is it not done so the exhibitors cannot be identified by the judges? Our one which is in 2 weeks is done along very professional lines, it will be the garden clubs 73rd so they must be doing something right. Like Wighty I think I’d boycott it then if everyone did the same they might take the hint 🤔
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 16:34 »
Everybody knows who the Judges are  :D :D :D :D  One year I baked a cake, one which is a favourite and I am good at.  (coffee and walnut) but it had to be to the designated recipe.   Some ladies I knew where standing around the table as I put mine down, and talking about what they used etc.  I said, I always use "Camp" for my cakes.   Another woman said, don't say that Jackie (who was standing in the group) is the judge.
She then followed up by telling me not to forget to turn my entry card over, so Jackie wouldn't know who baked what  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
I wouldn't normally go, but a very good friend had entered 2 classes, and won a first and third.  So I was pleased I was there for her (they were crafts)
I only stayed for 30 minutes.   :lol:  Mrs Bouquet

wighty

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 17:20 »
We never have the same judges, on behalf of our gardening club  I am the cookery 'judge' and this year we have been invited to Bembridge.  Our Judges are coming from Freshwater this year. (The other side of the Island) so will know no-one and we won't know them. Next year we may return the favour. It's organised by our Secretary. I'm the Treasurer and only have to pay out for five bottles of an acceptable vino , one for each of the Judges.  Perhaps that's Island life! :D

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 17:23 »
  Mrs B,, your the winner  a cuppa tea and a wedge of cake,,  all day long :D
Colin

clip
Harrogate Autumn Flower Show

Started by Mr Dog on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2017, 20:08
by snowdrops
xx
The village of Akenfield.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post December 22, 2023, 13:09
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Village Fete or Fate !!??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2023, 18:37
by GraciesGran
clip
Show Time

Started by snowdrops on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2023, 23:59
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 38 queries.