chicks

• 11 Replies

retribution

chicks
« on: June 18, 2011, 14:06 »
just picked up 3 chicks, big thankyou to Lynda at Howlett hens in Huntingdon. Highly recommend her.
With all the excitment ofgetting them i forgot to ask the basic questions, we have a brooder with heat lamp and forgot to ask if it is okay to put down hempcore or wood shavings.

could anyone please anwser quick as trying to sort it now.

Thanks

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: chicks
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 14:28 »
For the first couple of days I usually put down a clean old pillow case, or kitchen towel or I've got some of that anti slippy matting that you get from the cheap shops.  Stops them slipping around.

Then after a couple of days when they go into the big brooder, they go on shavings, but that's only because hemcore is a bit expensive when you use a lot of it!

retribution

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 16:18 »
thanks for that, its quiet funny watching them use the chick crumb as a dust bath.

retribution

Re: chicks Heat lamp
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 16:33 »
Just a quick one what temp should it be from the heat lamp where the chciks are ? i can take the temp and adjust the lamp accordingly.
Thanks

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 18:42 »
No advice, I'm afraid.  I just wanted to wish you luck with your chicks  :)
Now how about some pics  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 19:35 »
How many days old are they? The temperature varies depending on age as it should be gradually decreased from incy temp to regular temp.

retribution

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 19:42 »
they are a week old and picture attached
P1020174 (600 x 450).jpg

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 19:56 »
Advice from the Haynes Chicken Manual (yes, there really is such a thing!) states that after hatching the lamp should be suspended over the brooder to give a temp of about 34C when a thermometer is placed 4in above the floor and that should be reduced by 2C per week until the lamp can be removed (typically around 6 weeks).

They will let you know if it's wrong as they will huddle & cheep if temp is too cool/lamp too high, or sit beyond it, possibly panting, if the temp is too hot for them.

I've hopefully got to know all this for myself soon if a small clutch of eggs proves viable!

I hope this helps until someone more experienced comes along   :blink:

retribution

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 20:14 »
Thanks, just thought i had better say what bread they are :)
Gold lace orpington buff

bantam novice

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 22:05 »
They are lovely  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 22:13 »
Similar to the Haynes Manual, but I was told by the hatchery where we got our first day olds to start them off at 35.5C with heat lamp 9 inches off the floor, and reducing it by 2C each week, but if you haven't got a thermometer, then suspend the lamp, and if they huddle under it and the outer chicks climb over the others to get in the middle, they are to cold, if they spread out all over the outer edge of the brooder, they are too hot.  Ideal is when they are under the outer edge of the lamp, but with a small gap in the middle.

You just raise or loer the lamp until it is just right for them.

Mind you saying that, Min200's chicks were in a brooder that had an even 35.5C heat, but they still spent a week huddled under the lamp!  :D

hillfooter

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 05:06 »
It isn't too critical as long as there's a temperature gradient they can move about in to find the temerature they are comfortable in.  I usually start of with 37 deg C directly under the lamp and raise it it slightly every two days observing the chicks.  Huddling under lamp is a sign they are too cold or moving to the extremities of the brooder too hot.

Wood shavings are best I think right from the off though I suspect hemcore is Ok (I have used it too) though it's a bit hard in my view.

Get them a proper chick feeder and drinker they can't climb on and don't compromise with jamjar lids and the like.  Keeping the feeder & drinker clean and free from being contaminated with droppings is far easier with proper equipment.  Keep raising both as to back height they grow.
HF
HF
Truth through science.

xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj
xx
Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 10:59
by nuzuki

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 38 queries.