fresh manure, cardboard and weed control

• 3 Replies

julietmaria

• http://www.thewashablenappy.co.uk
fresh manure, cardboard and weed control
« on: October 10, 2013, 14:27 »
 :) I have recently got an allotment which is quite over grown in parts.  Some parts which were obviously beds a few years ago but are full of grass and some weeds (not brambles or docks) and I have covered a few of these with cardboard and then fresh manure - I read that this was fine.  The manure is about 1 1/2 - 2 inches deep.  Should I cover with anything else - ie more cardboard or some compost if I have any? 

Secondly I had a raised bed which I weeded and planted some very old green manure seeds which have not grown so today I covered the bed with fresh manure (hoping that the weeds that were growing back would be killed) and some cardboard on top.  I did this on the spur of the moment and not sure if it was a good idea?   Any tips on this and whether there is more I should be doing?

I have also laid one large tarpaulin down over one section and I have used gylcocite (spelling) on another small section. 

Any tips on how to proceed would be great - also please bear in mind that although I love spending time in my allotment I also have children, a husband and a business so I cannot spend weeks up there digging!!

My allotment is great with 9 raised beds, a shed, a large cold frame and a big compost heap built with pallets.   :) :) :)
A flower cannot blossom without sunshine nor a garden without love

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: fresh manure, cardboard and weed control
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 19:48 »
Here's a useful page on the main website:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment/clearing-new-allotment-plot.php

If you do use glyphosate, don't cover it afterwards; make sure you apply it on a dry day when there's no dew or wind.  At this time of year it will work far more slowly - it needs the weeds to be in active growth.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

NorthEast Old Newbie

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 18:26 »
Firstly congrats on securing the allotment and good luck for the future seasons.

Regarding covering areas of the plot with manure at 1 1/2 inch deep. Good way to begin to improve a heavy soil, but I would have thought you need much more depth.

2 years back after first clearing the weeds I covered our new half plot in 12 - 14 inches of manure in the early autumn and by spring the level had dropped to 2 - 6 inches deep. Presumably rotted down more and helped by the worms.

I do know one thing as spring developed we had few weeds, and mostly beautiful friable soil to plant in.   :D

I intend doing the same every autumn on our new full plot, but of course not in the areas where we plan to plant brassica next spring.

Totty

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 18:37 »
I have seen very mixed results when trying to deal with weeds by covering. If you are short of time, I would strim the whole lot, allow some vigorous weed regrowth, then spray a fortnight later. As soon as you see the effects of the weedkiller you can throw a couple of inches of muck on top, safe in the knowledge that the weeds won't grow back.

Totty

xx
Cardboard weed supressant

Started by luckypurplebutterfly on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 17:22
by NN2Blue
xx
Cardboard and manure sandwich.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 14, 2021, 08:50
by missmoneypenny
xx
Best uses of Fresh Sea Weed

Started by skatenchips on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 19:03
by argonaut
xx
weed control.

Started by sussexchook on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 07, 2015, 18:16
by JayG

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 39 queries.