Conditioner

• 5 Replies

Des C

Conditioner
« on: November 21, 2007, 13:52 »
Has anyone tried feeding condition grade pigeon mix to their chooks? I took a bag of it a couple of weeks age when our suppliers were out of mixed corn. The mix is very aromatic with a strong hint of aniseed. The birds love it and are thriving on this supplement.
Apart from one old ISA in the middle of the moult, all the other birds are displaying bright red combs and glossy feathers. Laying has picked up too.
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had similar results.

Des C

chickychick

• Experienced Member
Conditioner
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 14:25 »
I looked at some stuff in the 'pigeon shop' grit I think it was and was advisd that the aniseed would make the eggs taste and smell of ...aniseed which for me was not a bonus so thought I would mention that
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

Bodger

Conditioner
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 14:59 »
I feed winter pigeon mix to my show chickens and they do really well on it, but then they should do with the price of it.

A word of warning though, feed it sparingly though, certainly at first, not just because of the price of the stuff but because the change to maple and field beans lead to some of my birds becoming crop bound.

I've always maintained that the best tonic you can give to your chickens is fresh grass.

Foxy

Conditioner
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 12:24 »
Hi I mix about one third  pidgeon mix to their mixed corn as a conditioner for this years large fowl birds this was on the advice of a very experienced breeder who used to show his birds. It is rather expensive though. I havent noticed any change in the flavour of the hens eggs only they are absolutely gorgeous! (but I love aniseed!!):o  :o

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
Conditioner
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 18:45 »
I had read somewhere that Pigeon Conditioner is good for chickens through the Winter, but the Farmer who supplied my girls told me not to waste money on it unless you are showing them or they are getting old, even then he would recommend poultry spice over P Conditioner.  Due to his advice I have not bothered getting any.

Bodger

Conditioner
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 10:39 »
I've just ordered some pigeon feed at the farmers merchants this morning, at £11.20p it will be well mixed and fed sparingly. :D

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 33 queries.