Excited new chicken keeper here!

• 2 Replies

Elcie

Excited new chicken keeper here!
« on: May 21, 2009, 14:02 »
Never heard from the Housing Assoiciation about permission, spoke to the neighbour who was fine, so....

2nd hand Eglu coming on Saturday, hens being collected on Sunday!  (One Gingernut ranger, one Amber star and one Black star)

We are very excited but wondered if you could offer us some advice.  What is the best way to settle the hens in when they arrive?  I am off work all next week so it is ideal timing.  I have read that we should leave them inside the Eglu for 48 hours, then someone else said leave them in the Eglu/run for a week before letting out into the garden.

Any advice gratefully appreciated please.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Excited new chicken keeper here!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 14:06 »
As the Eglu is quite small Elcie, I would collect your new girls as late in the day as you can, then put them in the Eglu overnight at least.  There wouldn't be room for them plus food and drink surely?  Then next morning let them out into the run and keep them in the run for a few days to get used to their new home before letting them free range.

but you'll get lots of other ideas, as we are all different!  Good luck with them!!!!!

compostqueen

Re: Excited new chicken keeper here!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 15:22 »
With the Eglu you get an attached run which is 7 foot or so long which you can keep them in safely until you have your garden secured from foxes so the hens can free range. The Eglu run is not big enough to keep them in permanently, well I don't think it is. You can get run extensions for your Eglu from Omlet  which will enable you to make it longer, and you could then move it about your lawn so they get some fresh grazing daily which they'll need if you're not going to let them roam around your garden.  You put the Omlet "glug" and "grub" pots in the Eglu run - they attach to the weldmesh.  I'd keep them confined in the Eglu run for a few days, you can move them easily to a bit of fresh grass every day. This just gets them acclimatised to new sights and sounds. You need to clip their wing too before letting them out into the big wide world, if you dont' want them to fly off that is  :)  As an Eglu owner I would definitely check out OMLET website as they have chapter and verse on all things Eglu  :D

xx
New chicken keeper, almost!

Started by hamsterhead on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2013, 11:15
by ANHBUC
xx
New Chicken Keeper

Started by Dottyaussie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 20:17
by bantam novice
xx
Help for a new chicken keeper please

Started by What Allot on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 21:18
by nzdunn
xx
New Chicken Keeper

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 13:41
by woodburner

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 38 queries.