Things I won't ever do again

• 29 Replies

kathrose

Re: Things I won't ever do again
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 19:15 »
I wont sow so many tomato or cucumber plants.  I hated the thought of throwing them out so I planted in the garden, planted two to a pot.  It's like day of the triffids in my little plastic greenhouse.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 20:36 »
I see a common thread here!  ::) 

I had a terrible time with my squash germination last year and this year ended up with over 60 assorted cue, courgette and squash plants.   :ohmy:  Still, at least they didn't go to waste as they were distributed between fellow garden club members and a local allotment society (as were, er, a 'good number' of tomato plants).  :)

I won't ever think 'this new compost smells a bit funny' and then continue to use it, leading to almost no surviving climbing french beans (or essentially anything else potted in it).  I now suspect that it was either last years stock or contaminated in some way and will go somewhere with high turnovers in future.  >:(

I won't, in a fit of boredom, think "I know, I'll get all those Oca potted up to give them a head start" again, leaving me trying to re-home 70 thriving Oca plants (plus, of course, a large part of my pot stache).

Ah, it's a learning process isn't it?  :lol:

I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 16:42 »
This year I made the newbie mistake of selecting a pepper plant type that "sounded" good, as opposed to one that was suitable for my climate. The result? Not a single pepper on five plants  :(

Next year I'll have to investigate what will actually do well in my area, maybe king of the north?

BobE

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 16:48 »
I grow peppers on the windowsill, I thought they wouldn't grow outside here.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 17:17 »
After giving him a fruiting wax pepper plant - I just said to my neighbour that I'll be cutting down on the seed sowing next year - he said " you said that last year"

:lol: ::) :lol:

So no hope for me then  :blush:

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 17:42 »
My problem is that I can't stand the sight of fallow ground and just keep on planting and sowing to use it up

barley

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 18:28 »
I thought my packet of tomatoe seeds were going mouldy so planted the whole packet
all 150 plants germinated  :ohmy:

I was a bit tight for green house space for a while  :wacko:

I donated them to the dog rescue charity plant stall   :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my dad ordered a nice new sit on mower costing best part of £1000.00 from the internet - he forgot to check how big the wheel widths were

IT WOULDN'T FIT THROUGH HIS GATE !!!!!

He now has my  10 year old  smaller mower with smaller wheels and I am the proud owner of the nice new £1000.00 shiny red one - cheers dad !!!!!  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 18:53 »
I won't ever suggest I'm going to give up trying to grow incredibly expensive all-female F1 cucumbers from seed in the greenhouse because I know I'm telling porkies, although the actual pork recipe might be different next year.   :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 19:07 »
I grow peppers on the windowsill, I thought they wouldn't grow outside here.

Original intention was to keep them indoors, but they got too big and I couldn't find floor space with enough sunlight. Again, it's down to picking the wrong variety for my climate. I'll have to find an early one that is happy on a windowsill next year.

Strangely enough, the red sweet pepper plant I bought from Aldi seems quite happy outdoors. It's coated in decent sized peppers. Especially the yellow chilli. No idea what their varieties are.

Basically all the pepper plants I grew from seed have done terrible, the bought varieties are the only ones I've actually harvested off.

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 20:53 »
I won't ever suggest I'm going to give up trying to grow incredibly expensive all-female F1 cucumbers from seed in the greenhouse because I know I'm telling porkies, although the actual pork recipe might be different next year.   :unsure:

I reckon that all these all female cuces are a con, Jay!

They all gang up on us, as is normal, and eventually we get blamed for the poor performance!

Paaaah!

BobE

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 21:01 »

They all gang up on us, as is normal, and eventually we get blamed for the poor performance!

Paaaah!

Are we separated brothers!!!!!!

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 13:32 »
I will never store 6kg of Red Currants in one large freezer bag.  It was a nightmare trying to get a 2kg load.  In the end I had to break up the entire lump and rebag.  From now I use 1kg bags.
Bob

haha that is funny.
Kind Regards
Bill

Growster...

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 20:10 »
I won't ever paint the Patch and Plot sheds red again!

Mrs G complains every time we go down there, and even now, I have to re-paint the shed at home again, to get it brown again!

It was Mahogany red, not signal, but it has the same effect...

But hey, the paint was in a sale and very cheap..;0)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 20:58 »
Tell my dad he should get a plot next to ours  ::) he is clueless about weeding and planting and we can NEVER escape

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 10:21 »
Grow aubergines.

They are huge plants, thugging about in my culticave, with not a flower amongst them.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 40 queries.