Mantis Deluxe XP Tiller/Cultivator

• 5 Replies

Sue33

Mantis Deluxe XP Tiller/Cultivator
« on: April 15, 2015, 09:22 »

Hello,

Just after some advice please, we have been offered a Mantis Deluxe XP Tiller/Cultivator and I'm wondering whether to go for it, hubby is off work after doing his back in again at the plot  :( he has a history of back problems (had a disc removed 20 odd years ago)

Would this help do you think?  I'll probably be the one doing the tilling/rotovating because I imagine the vibrations won't help his back.  We are quite limited by time as to when we get to the plot and it often gets very hard to dig.  I'm thinking maybe it would be easier to keep on top of if we can use it on a regular basis.....

Any advice appreciated  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Mantis Deluxe XP Tiller/Cultivator
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:14 »
I have a friend who is a Lady Gardener for a number of people local to her.  She tried my Mantis when she was here and bought one to till all the gardens she looks after.  Definitely not a "brute" of a machine, and I think it is very useful. For people with limited time have a machine like this "in the shed" means you can use it whenever the soil / weather conditions are just right.

I've now moved over largely to no-dig, so mine is not used as much as it used to be. I still use it to stir up the compost / manure heap to make it easier to shovel into a barrow, and for some areas that I want to fluff-up before planting.

Eblana

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 12:57 »
My husband does be away with work quite a bit so I have to do a good bit of the tilling and rotavating.  We got a Mantis a few years back and I find it great.  I am 5 ft and slightly built and have no problems using it.

Headgardener22

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 13:39 »
Depends upon the soil to some extent. I've got heavy clay and the tiller can't get into the soil unless its been broken up first. Your also dragging the tiller against the thrust of the tiller so if you've got a bad back it might make it worse.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 14:01 »
There is a certain amount of pulling involved, Sue, but it's more of a skill to practice so it doesn't hurt, or strain the back.

I also had a disc out years ago, and am always aware of 'doing the wrong thing', but touch wood, my Mantis doesn't hurt at all! A chum with a new hip has just bought one, and he's made up with it!

One thing I could add is that the smaller Mantis does less work, but is apparently a bit easier on the joints! My chum thought the De Luxe model may just be a bridge too far!

Sue33

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 14:06 »

thank you for all your replies, on the whole very positive, might go along and have a look and a go maybe  :)

xx
Mantis tiller / Stihl multi-tool tiller/cultivator

Started by Turkey Jane on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2008, 12:10
by Percy
xx
Mantis tiller or Stihl cultivator attatchment????

Started by Half a plot man on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 05:40
by Gwiz
xx
merry tiller and mantis tiller - compare/contrast?

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 05:17
by Gwiz
xx
mantis cultivator

Started by rowlandwells on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 20:30
by DavidT

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.