A blackcurrant pruning quandary.

• 17 Replies

Kleftiwallah

A blackcurrant pruning quandary.
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:19 »

I've searched 'various areas' for an answer to how do I prune blackcurrant bushes.  The replies cover either pruning of newly planted or over three year old and established bushes.

The bushes I have are two years old, have no "dark coloured bark turning to black".  All I have are three to five stems per bush of a uniform light brown colour.   Do I cut back the tips 3 - 5 inches as instructed for white and red currants or just leave untill the bushes are 'established'?   

You have a few days to construct your answers as I'm just off to the hospital to have my eyelids trimmed.  It is NOT cosmetic,  it's to try and stop my eyes constantly watering.    Fingers crossed.       :unsure:       Cheers,      Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: A blackcurrant pruning quandary.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 11:56 »
Don't know about the blackcurrants, but good luck with the eyelid pruning  :)

Ps I hope it's not too boring in there - and you don't miss the Forum too much  ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 13:54 by mumofstig »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:21 »
The ones I grew from cuttings are about 4 years old now and may get their first prune, it's just a trim by any other name, nothing too serious.

Yours may not need it.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:27 »
Like DD I didn't prune my blackcurrant until it was about 4 years old, but I don't find it easy to prune, as they say it fruits on the new wood.  But the new wood always seems to grow on the old wood!  ???

So by the sound of yours, I don't think it will need pruning until it gets a bit older, unless you think it looks long and straggley, then perhaps just prune the tips back a bit?

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 18:47 »
From what you have described I would not prune.
The only consideration is to cut back any weak growth to the first bud above ground level.
Don't trim the tops off-that is where this years fruit will be found.

Next year you will need to consider pruning. Blackcurrants produce most of their fruit on the new shoots produced the previous summer. The purpose of pruning is to encourage the growth of new wood from the base.

First cut away any low branches that touch the ground. Cut away  branches that grow towards the centre of the bush. That is to let in light and air. Finally cut away any dead wood.

By the 4th year the bushes should be established and of symmentrical shape. Thereafter each year, prune one third of each bush, by removing the oldest wood from as close as the base as you can. If growth is very vigorous remove less, but if it is weak and needs stimulating, remove more.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 19:00 »
I felt a bit of a moron with this pruning lark, Klefti --- I know what you mean!

It took me ages to realise that the 'older' dark wood was several years old, not just last seasons  :lol:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Swing Swang

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 17:53 »
A couple of alternatives worth considering:

Grow blackcurrents in multiples of three and cut every third bush down to ground level completely every three years. You'll then get one non-fruiting year, and two fruiting years over the three year cycle. In practice because you are cutting right down to ground level every three years you can grow your bushes closer than you otherwise would do if you plan things carefully

Or

At the end of harvesting time cut out completely each heavily fruiting (old wood) stem with the end of the season's crop - it's easier to harvest the currents that way too.

I've been using method one for the last few years - one bush in each corner of a triangular bed with a morello cherry in the middle - heavy crops of currents and cherries

SS

sion01

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 22:17 »
Listen to Ivor Backache he knows what he's talking about

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 22:22 »
In view of your last comment and looking at your two locations, you wouldn't happen to know him, or be related by any chance?   :lol:

JohnB47

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 19:29 »

You have a few days to construct your answers as I'm just off to the hospital to have my eyelids trimmed.  It is NOT cosmetic,  it's to try and stop my eyes constantly watering.    Fingers crossed.       :unsure:       Cheers,      Tony.

I have the opposite problem - I have stingy eyes, for a day or two every now and then, and sometimes when I go to bed, they go very dry. I've been told it's because some oil ducts are blocked on my eyelids but I suspect a more complicated reason, because regular cleaning doesn't seem to produce a noticeable beneficial effect. It seems to come and go at random . Anyway, good luck with the treatment (and with the blueberries).

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 16:23 »
Listen to Ivor Backache he knows what he's talking about

He certainly does

Ivor Backache

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 17:05 »
It is nice to know I am doing something right :D
I find the best time to sort out pruning is when I pick the fruit. I have to check each branch for the fruit and if I find a poor crop on one then I mark it with a piece of electrical tape.
In autumn when the leaves have fallen off the branches to remove are easily seen.

allotment south wales

• welcome
    • allotment grower
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 17:16 »
i appologise i did not intend to offend

Use the cuttings from the FRUIT BUSH prunning's in the autumn and plant in a nursery bed come spring check for roots and repot or move to another area..
fruit bushes.jpg
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 18:02 by allotment south wales »
keep it organic and you will see the difference including taste......

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 17:24 »
You might at least have corrected the typos before you copy/pasted what you've posted on another forum!  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 17:39 »
... and you posted it there a week ago.  Are we second best :(

Just to back up what DD. has said:  We do prefer original posts to copy and paste from other sites.  That's why our google rating is better than the site you first posted that on ASW :)

xx
Blackcurrant pruning.

Started by Kathogur on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 15, 2017, 19:01
by mumofstig
xx
Blackcurrant bush pruning

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 14, 2016, 11:54
by Growster...
xx
Pruning newly planted Blackcurrant bushes

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2013, 16:29
by Yana
xx
Blackcurrant bush and pruning the old wood to leave the new wood

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 20:54
by VegGirl7

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 37 queries.