A bit of advice about adding to my flock!

• 1 Replies

flangey

A bit of advice about adding to my flock!
« on: July 20, 2009, 13:37 »
I'm still a bit of a novice, three months to be precise, I have 6 hybrid girls, all happy and content laying etc etc.  I was always going to add to my girls as I have plenty of room and a house that will take up to 10 birds.  (not a chinese import)! A friend of a friend of a friend is trying to rehome some hens, 2 Anconas and 3 ex battery.  I havn't seen them yet, but if I am going to take them, how should I intergrate them with my current girls (when I brought them home, kept them in their house for 24 hours etc)?  If I dont want all of them, is it like other animals where they shouldn't be separated i.e all of them or none at all? or should I stick to a supplier I know and trust?  Also, what sort of personalities do Anconas have? ..........OR should I just give them a good home and stop being so pathetic!!!! :blush:

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: A bit of advice about adding to my flock!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 13:50 »
I would keep them in quarantine (for a week i think people say?) just to make sure they dont give any nasties to your girls. some people put them straight in to get on with it, others have them in a run next to the existing flock so they cant all see each other for about a week then introduce! another way is to wait till dark and pop the new ones into the hen house and they all wake up together! i have tried all 3 ways and there is still always fighting to establish the pecking order! 1 thing to remember though is to put down extra feeders and drinkers as most fights happen over food! dont forget the pictures when they arrive  ;)

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xx
Adding to my flock

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 12:14
by Shazzer
xx
Adding new birds to flock

Started by wildfowler4 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 19:16
by wildfowler4
xx
Question regarding Adding to the Flock

Started by wildfowler4 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 01, 2010, 22:34
by wildfowler4
xx
Hatching Eggs & adding to Flock

Started by Prod on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 14:49
by joyfull

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 38 queries.