I don't know why I bother sometimes...

• 9 Replies

Growster...

I don't know why I bother sometimes...
« on: May 10, 2020, 20:32 »
During a spell of stringing the broad beans today, there was a small bunch of what looked like a rather odd weed, growing quite happily amongst the stems.

Rather than hoe them, Inspector "Growster" Clouseau decided to investigate and guess what...

About twenty-five seedlings, all clenched together, from a 'Sungold' tom (skin still yellow), which I'd chucked out from the GH last year!

And I'd paid a squillion splonders for a packet this year!

I think it was DD who once agreed that whatever the conditions, a few toms will always start to grow anywhere, given half a chance, and this is proof positive!

Hey-ho, I'm sure I'll find a home for them somewhere, they're potted on already...

Growster...

Re: I don't know why I bother sometimes...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 10:19 »
Well, 'The Plot' thickens...

I didn't grow any Sungold last year, so they're eighteen months old!

Here's a pic of the little darlings, but if they were F1, goodness knows what they'll turn out like!

I have tried Sungold from their own seed before, and they reverted to a standard size, but weren't bad at all, so it may be worth another experiment this time round!

I do like a mystery don't you..:0~
DSCN9181.JPG

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 11:37 »
Next year you will make a fortune selling Growster tomato seed, I think it will be a robust even tempered plant full of flavour and good to look at.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 12:21 »
You're a charmer, Graciesgran - and when I've made a squillion, I'll make sure you get a slice of the action..:0)

And so can Mum, P1P and News, as they liked the idea as well!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 12:33 »
Hey, I am on the "likes" as well  :D  Mrs B
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 14:55 »
Of course, you're invited, Mrs B!

I'll even name one of the toms after you as a present!

XXX

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 13:35 »
If I can bear going into my greenhouse which has been sadly neglected for months, I'm now wondering what I'll find amidst all the undergrowth. Hopefully I'll find my long-lost hand trowel and fork and maybe a cross-hybrid plant between some green peppers and tomato seeds. Just one more thing (as per Columbo would say), please don't remind me of the time Peter Sellers made me go and find some Eccles cakes for OH. When I got back from Tresco's he jumped up in the air then came back down again so I asked him why he did that.
Why? “Because I live here.”  :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 15:03 »
If I can bear going into my greenhouse which has been sadly neglected for months, I'm now wondering what I'll find amidst all the undergrowth. Hopefully I'll find my long-lost hand trowel and fork and maybe a cross-hybrid plant between some green peppers and tomato seeds. Just one more thing (as per Columbo would say), please don't remind me of the time Peter Sellers made me go and find some Eccles cakes for OH. When I got back from Tresco's he jumped up in the air then came back down again so I asked him why he did that.
Why? “Because I live here.”  :lol:

I'll name the third from the left after you Goosey!

They seemed quite happy bunched together this morning, but may get the hump after a bit of squiggling...

Story of my life I suppose..:0~

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 12:34 »
Mr G. Is your backache troubling you again? I may have three remedies for your problem that was passed down over many centuries by the Abbots of Cockersand Abbey under the strictest secrecy.

1)  A penny-worth of dragon water (a medicinal remedy very popular in the earlier half of the 17th century and possibly of high alcohol content.

2) A pennorth of oyle olive, methradate (possibly derived from a hazel nut) also in a quantity of one dram) with treacle 1d, then take an onion, fill it full of pepper when you scraped it, roast it, and after you put it to liquor and strain and drink in the morning and if you take same at night lay soap and bay salt to your feet and sweat upon it and, with God’s blessing, you shall recover.” 

3) The juice of sage in vinegar to be used when taking an ice-cold bath.

Tell you what, mix them :lol: all together and you may have either the bestest toms or drinkies you've ever had!

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 14:28 »
Ha ha ha! Nice ones GG!

Just before lunch, I separated them out to pot them on singly, and got forty-seven plants!

Some are tiny, but deserve a chance, so it means that if the all survive, we'll have one hundred and eleven toms around 'The Turrets', which is just plain stupid!

Mrs Growster and I have agreed to give them away around here,and leave it at that...

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 47 queries.