Sour Crop

• 4 Replies

SuzyB

Sour Crop
« on: June 17, 2009, 07:55 »
Hello, my first time posting!

I wondered if anyone has any advice, I have an ex batt with sour crop. Ive had her for two months now, she's never laid since I got her so Im presuming she's retired. 
On Sunday I noticed she wasnt eating, and on Monday felt her crop which felt almost gassy and squishy. She was also burping a lot which smelt and moving her neck about as if to try and clear something.

I googled it and realised it was sour crop so for the past day have been gently tipping her upside down and she's brought up a lot of foul smelling brown liquidy goo, presumably whats been stuck.  This morning her crop looks visibily smaller and feels dramatically smaller than the past couple of days which Im taking as a good sign.  The thing is though, she still wont eat. Ive offered her yoghurt, olive oil soaked bread, olive oil and this morning some cooked eat mixed with yoghurt but she wont even dip her beak in.  I cant say I blame her being off her food because being tipped til you vomit disgusting muck  must put you off your food but obviously she needs to eat.

Should I be syringe feeding her, or is it a case of when she feels up to it she will eat?

Does anyone know of anything else I could tempt her with?

Thank you

Vember

Re: Sour Crop
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 10:04 »
Hi SuzyB

Welcome to the Hen House :D

The two main things I use to try and encourage eating is cat food and mealworms  :)
I know they're ill if they wont eat those :D

Might it be worth taking her to a vet she made need some anti fungal medication to make sure it's completely out of her system :)

Sarah :D

SuzyB

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:20 »
Hi Sarah and thank you  :D

Not long after I posted, she went down from the house into the run and started pecking about on the floor, which she's not done since Sunday so she's obviously feeling a bit happier.

I wondered about cat food because normally I have to shoo both this chicken (Cinnamon) and my other ex batt (Nutmeg) away from the cat bowls constantly. I didnt know if it was ok for them to eat or not but when they get the chance they love it.  I'll try that tonight when I get home.

Vember

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 10:23 »
So long as it's fish flavour not meaty they'll be fine :) It's a good source of protein especially good during a  heavy moult helps with new feather growth but also useful when a hens not been well to get them back into shape :D

Not too much though or they'll get fatties and stop laying :(

Sarah :D

SuzyB

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 20:54 »
Got home tonight and let them out of the run, she came running out of the house quite happily. She ate a bowl of salmon cat food and has been pecking around (and squaring up to the newbies through the side of the run!) and generally looks a lot like her old self. Hopefully we're through the worst and she'll just get better and better.

Her crop is almost back to normal, just a slight squidge at the bottom but she hasnt brought anything up today  :D

xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot
xx
Sour crop/Slow crop?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 11:02
by pink-chicken
xx
Sour crop?

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 16:19
by compostqueen
xx
sour crop ?maybe

Started by Lyn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2010, 15:08
by Lyn

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 38 queries.