sad girl

• 11 Replies

caroline or

sad girl
« on: December 01, 2009, 08:28 »
Hi I have a two year old hybrid chook who is a poorly girl.She is moulting for the first time ,not one of my five moulted last year.
She is all fluffed up standing in the corner falling asleep .I have not seen her eat or drink I keep offering some cat food to her but she has not taken it.Two of the others are also moulting but they are  fine.
They have poultry spice in their food.
I would love some help please. :(

caroline or

Re: sad girl
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 10:25 »
Just seen her poo its green.. help please

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 11:01 »
So sorry but i would not know what to suggest. I am sure someone will be along shortly. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Rubellite

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 11:05 »
They'll probably suggest taking her to the vets.
I'd say bring her into the warm and see if she bucks up a bit, then decide whether to take her to the vets. She's your bird so you should be able to tell what's normal and what's not. Good luck.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 11:13 »
green pooh can be a sign of worms - when was she last done?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 11:34 »
Is she going through a very hard moult? That can effect a birds immune system. Has she ever been ill before?

I would bring her in to the warm and get hold of some chick crumb mixed with chopped boiled egg and a teaspoon of codliver oil. I am afraid she sounds very poorly though :(

Check her crop, does it feel full, empty or hard?

Does she feel hot under the wing - would indicate an infection

Alec

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 12:14 »
Hello Caroline,Sorry to hear about your poorly hen.I am a newcomer really but I would like to tell you that i had a similar experience last week.One of my silkies(Mabel) was quite ill following the heavy rain we had.She was listless,comb down,not eating or drinking and all fluffed up.
I brought her into the kitchen,Kept her in a cardboard box.Put in a hot water bottle,wrapped in a towel,under some straw.I gave her some cod liver oil through a small syringe.Also i bought a cheap aviary bird cold remedy from the local pet shop(1£ 30p)and fed her some of that mixed with water in the syringe at regular intervals.Even though she did not eat much at first i think as with all living things liquids are vital.Over a few days she has recovered really well.I put her outside for a couple of hours to start with,and although she was a bit weak started eating and drinking(I brought her back in at night) :).Today she is back with her mates and Percy(Who was very pleased to see Her!)and is pretty well back to normal.
Give some of these a try also some TLC.At least you have the satisfaction of doing something positive.Good Luck and Best Wishes-Alec

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 15:10 »
Here's a link to the Poo Page on the forum.  I have it saved on my Favourites now.  This might help to know what is wrong.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

A trip to the vet might help too. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 00:25 »
Green droppings can be a sign that she's eaten a toxin of some sort.  Any chance she's eaten any mouldy feed, particularly corn.  Good nursing and being isolated in the warm will help as will ensuring she's getting fluids.  Persistent diarrhoea can cause dehydration and this can be countered by including an electrolyte supplement in their drinking water, several brand names exist (eg Avian Electrolyte) but you can easily make your own from a solution of 2ml salt substitute (potassium chloride), 3ml baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), 5ml salt (sodium chloride), 10ml glucose (optional) in 1 litre of water given in place of drinking water for seven days.

Chickens seem to like apple cider vinegar added to their water so you can add between 5 – 10ml per litre of drinking water to encourage her to drink.

Best of luck
HF
Truth through science.

caroline or

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 12:59 »
Thankyou all for your help and words of wisdom
Great news I kept her warm gave TLC and today she has bounced back and is out and about looking much better and even eating a little..
Iam guessing that it is a hard moult and it was making her feel under the weather.I must say that I had no idea that it can make them seem so poorly.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 13:01 by caroline or »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 13:22 »
glad she is on the mend  :)

Rubellite

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 13:47 »
Good to hear that and always wise to remember that sometimes our animals feel under the weather as we do  :)

xx
Boy or Girl?

Started by Fraggle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2012, 14:05
by JaK
xx
Girl or boy?

Started by chicken soup on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 12:49
by naturesparadise
xx
Girl or boy?

Started by symonep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 12:22
by symonep
xx
old girl

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 11:52
by redjane11

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 37 queries.