Sweetcorn... again...

• 20 Replies

hightide

• Experienced Member
Re: Sweetcorn... again...
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 00:32 »
I read with interest the comments on 'chitting' sweetcorn, I am not a great believer in this method, as soon as the shoot tip detects light the seed diverts all its energy into making leaf, which is the next stage of growth. Unfortunately the roots do not develop enough first and you get lovely green plants with maybe one or two baby cobs.

Another thing I found is not to grow two different varieties together they will cross pollinate resulting in uneven cobs and not sweet at all. My neighbour and me now split the same pack of seed - roll on harvest time!

Our allotment agent gave this tip for checking when the cobs are ripe, feel the top of the cob and if the cob is 'pointy' leave it - if the top is flattish then it is ready. Apparently opening up the covering makes it easy for birds and disease to get at the kernels, makes sense.
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

iwantanallotment

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 01:34 »
Interesting points, hightide  :)

Re chitting, this is my first time. But I'm not arguing with 100% germination - never had that in pots.

AFTER germination, it's all down to how we treat them I reckon, regarding how well they fare and crop. Germination is simply the act of encouraging them to life. Once they bite, it's down to us.

Too many people here swear by this method & do it this way year after year, which they simply wouldn't if not productive & crops suffered (I'm thinking Richy, esp). He just wouldn't do it, if there was a better way.

Re cross-pollination, you are absolutely right and well said  :)

Your 3rd point is also interesting - will try that this year with some of them.
Thank you!  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 09:22 »
I am not a great believer in this method, as soon as the shoot tip detects light the seed diverts all its energy into making leaf, which is the next stage of growth.

The thing is to pot them on before the shoot start to grow. The emerging 'bit' that shows that the seed has germinated is a root, not a shoot. :) If they are then potted on correctly they do not even realise they have been moved and root and then shoot growth carries on as normal.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 11:11 »
Quite so, it only takes a day or so for the root to emerge. You then sneak up on them & throw them in pot before they realise what's hit them!

First time I've done it & seems to be working a treat. Always willng to learn new tricks!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 12:22 »
never chitted my corn before but will be doing it tonight... chitting corn that is :)

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 13:02 »
Thanks everyone.

And thanks for my seeds!  ;)

assuming all 30 germinate, am I ok to go for a block comprising five rows of six plants, 12-18" apart?

xx
Sweetcorn help

Started by matron on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 02:39
by ditchdigger
xx
sweetcorn

Started by jameshuk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 15:54
by mashauk
xx
Best Sweetcorn.... ?

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 22, 2014, 18:38
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
sweetcorn

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 01, 2006, 20:49
by Judymac

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 35 queries.