auto vents, cats, concrete base etc

• 3 Replies

rcf100

• Experienced Member
auto vents, cats, concrete base etc
« on: May 14, 2012, 19:55 »
Hiya again.

Poly 8x6 house ordered, should be here tomorrow.  Has 2 roof vents, I work 3 days a week so am going to need some auto vent thingys, don't even know where to start!

Also, on reading other posts on this board it has dawned on me...I have 4 cats, the neighbours have 2 and there's at least 1 more who roams in our garden, should I put some sort of netting on the roof vents to prevent them coming in?  Will their claws damage my poly?  What about if I have the door open, should I have some secondary fly screen do you think?

Finally, it is going to be sited on a concrete base that we had the shed on.  What would you do with the floor?  Do I need to insulate for winter?

Thanks

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: auto vents, cats, concrete base etc
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 11:06 »
I have a netted screen on the top half of my poly-tunnel doors so that the plastic can be rolled up and a bit of air run through as when the sun comes out its hot hot hot.
Thanks
Kris

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 11:25 »
I take it we're talking about a polycarbonate greenhouse, rather than a polytunnel?

I've never had cats getting in through the roof vents though I suppose they could get in if they jumped from the hedge  :unsure: if there is nothing near the sides I don't think they could get on top. Their claws won't damage polycarbonate.
You need a mesh that will allow insects in for pollination if you want to screen the door opening.

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 16:03 »
yeah a house rather than tunnel.  Ah insects, of course.  hmmm will have to have a think.  It's got 2 6ft fences round it so I imagine it will be a perfect basking place for the cats, teh shed it's replacing roof always was.  Maybe they won't jump in cos it will be too high if I'm clever about where I place shelves?

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 40 queries.