Tomato blight...what to do next?

• 1 Replies

redmower3

Tomato blight...what to do next?
« on: September 09, 2010, 11:17 »
Such a disappointing season on the lottie...

The spinach and broad beans never showed, the radish bolted, the french beans and runner beans are hardly producing anything and so on...

The one ray of hope was the toms...all looking great with cane bending trusses on them...until the dreaded blight :(

So, I've picked off the green fruit that looks ok and I've pulled up the plants and put them in plastic sacks pending burning.

And now the questions...

What to do with the apparently good fruit? Are they likely to ripen and will they be ok to eat? If not  - will I be able to make chutney?

Is there anything I should be doing with the infected soil? and finally anything with the canes that supported them?

cheers

Mick

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomato blight...what to do next?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 12:51 »
Sorry to hear you've had a poor year; it's been very trying to say the least for most of us!

If the blight reached your tomato fruits they will have signs of a brownish discolouration under the skin; the whole fruit will then rapidly become a black, smelly mess!  :ohmy:

If they are sound, you should be able to ripen them successfully on a warm windowsill or similar; I ripened 15lbs of mainly green tomatoes in this way (and for the same reason!)

Blight overwinters on living plant tissue (which is why infected potato tubers left in the ground are often the source of the following year's infection).

If you completely remove and destroy the tomato plants you should be OK.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Tomato Blight ..... Again(sorry)

Started by SalB on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 11:03
by madcat
xx
Tomato blight - What should I do?

Started by domw001 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 14:07
by mumofstig
xx
Tomato blight

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 10:20
by JayG

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 36 queries.