Baby chicks.....help!!! What do I do??? What do I need?

• 39 Replies

redmolly

• Experienced Member
Hi All,

I'm pretty new to all this chicken keeping and need advice.
We've had 4 hens for a few months (as I'm unfortunately off work - recovering from a broken back!!). They are great layers, have had mites, been eggbound & cropbound - so am pretty all ok with that and entertain me on a daily basis!!!!!
Anyway - one went broody and much to my husbands surprise (shock and horror) - I went out and got 6 eggs....To cut a long story short - she's now sat on 10 eggs and has been for 12 days. She's separate from the others.
However they are gonna arrive before I know it and I don't know what I need. So all advice would be much appreciated!!
What do they eat...... and for how long???
When do they get introduced to the rest of the flock????
etc etc etc!!!
Thanks in advance!!!!  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Baby chicks.....help!!! What do I do??? What do I need?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 21:21 »
You need chick crumbs either unmedicated if you are organic or medicated if not, a shallow dish for water and some marbles or similar to put into the dish to prevent the chicks drowning. Some people put a sheet of material (e.g. old bedding) over the shavings for a couple of days. I kept mine seperate for about 2 weeks and then let them roam (mine are all free range) with the others. Mum will defend them from the others if she needs to. Most of all though you will need a CAMERA  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 15:01 »
Ooh thanks - I was worried about the drowning issue!!! Will get all prepared now!! Camera is ready and waiting too!!! Thank you!!!

::) ::) ::)

darcyhen

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 15:33 »
Hi,
Mine are 5/6 weeks now! You'll get loads of helpful advice here. But don't worry when there's a broody hen involved it seems to be a lot easier and less problematic than using an incubator.
I loved the experience so much I've got my latest broody, Doris, sitting on 6 buff orpington eggs!
Good luck... it's so exciting!
Michelle

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 18:56 »
It certainly is lovely watching them grow up. If your broody is a good mum (and it sounds as if she will be) then she will teach them what to eat and so on. I have loved watching her call them over and point out the titbit with her beak.

Once they hatch, if you are trying to hand tame them, I suggest you hold little tiny bits of food between finger and thumb and make a chicken-head shape with your hand. They get the idea much faster if you look like Mum. Mine are now so tame they climb my arms and fly up onto my shoulders to preen  :D
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

too many girls

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 18:58 »
hot water, :) soap and a towel, then just pace up and down and wait

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 18:16 »
Thanks all for all the advice here!!! We've had 6 successful hatches!!! Gladys is a really good mum thankfully!!! I'm now a really bad wife as I've been too busy sat watching her teaching her little ones!!! Amazing!!!  :D :D :D

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 19:34 »
PICCIES??  :lol: :lol:

Sparkle

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 20:52 »
ooh yes lets have some piccies!
Also thanks for the marbles in the water trick - I hadn't even thought about the possibility of them drowning - I have so many things to learn before hey hatch in 2 weeks!!
Sparkle

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 20:55 »
Hi sparkle, don't worry their mum will do most of the work  :D

Sparkle

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 20:59 »
Thanks joyfull for the support - I am kinda banking on her knowing what to do!! But its great to have you guys giving advice to us newbies!
Everyone told me that these type of hens don't go broody but now she is I am really excited about her having chicks - cant wait!!
Sparkle

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 21:03 »
what sort is she? my blackrock went broody this year (a hybrid so shouldn't have gone broody!!) I think she got broody after seeing my cuckoo maran being broody and raising bantam chicks  :D

Sparkle

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 21:06 »
she is a warren cross light sussex I think - they were all from a free range unit up the road and are all at least 3 years old and were about to be 'replaced' by the younger birds
Apparently according to the farmer he has only ever had a few go broody as i think they are egg machines .....

smileysal

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 02:00 »
Hiya , how are you getting on with your broody, got any chickies yet????
I broke my back 2.5yrs in a horse riding fall, how did you do yours?? I broke #T12 and had to be in a torso brace for 2 months, how are they treating yours???
One of my ex batts has just gone broody so we've got her sitting on 7 eggs and another 16 in the incubator, we have 22 chickens, 2 cockerels and a gosling called Jack!!! :blink:

broodyhen

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 12:12 »
hey!

we had a warren also called gladys but she passed away at the weekend so reading your story did bring a little tear to my eye  :( im so glad you are experiencing something so wonderful!

i have a broody speckledly called pat she has been sitting for a total of 4 weeks this weekend - 1 week on nothing then we slipped 6 eggs under her a mix of black rocks and rhode island reds which are due this sat/sun. im so glad you put up this link as i was gonna ask the same questions!! didnt  know about the drowning tho so thats a great tip. also i was going to clean the coop completely out before the weekend with jeyes to kill any germs before the chicks arrive is this a wise thing to do so close??

we seriously cannot wait! we did have 3 hens but are now down to 1 - 1 died and onion was a bully so we gave her back.

its been a bitter sweet week for us, a death and hopefully fingers and everything crossed a birth!!!!  please put up some pics and i will do the same.

good luck!

broodyhen x  :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 12:31 by broodyhen »

xx
baby chicks due - what do i need?

Started by darcyhen on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 16:59
by Vember
xx
baby chicks poo

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 07:55
by karlooben
xx
Baby Chicks

Started by Floss16 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2013, 15:27
by ANHBUC
xx
New Baby Chicks

Started by sally c on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 14, 2007, 16:59
by sally c

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 36 queries.