Chronic illness?

• 7 Replies

violet

• Experienced Member
Chronic illness?
« on: June 02, 2010, 09:45 »
One of my old hens, not sure how old but hasn't laid in over a year had a "bad chest" and frothy eyes!  Taken to vet, Baytril given by injection and then added to water for 7 days...quick response...very fit again. 

All hens and ducks had treatment in water (what a waste of eggs!)

Almost four weeks later hen is generaly off colour and frothy eyes...not ill like last time...I have put her in a seperate pen so that only she is having baytril in water and she appears to be improving.

Question is this...is it because she is old that she is not fully recovering?

Should I do the deed...have to say she does not appear unhappy, just slow!

Dont want the other 8 hens and 4 ducks to be in contact with a chronic infection.

Help!!!!!

Casey76

Re: Chronic illness?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 10:02 »
Sorry, but once the bird has CRD/Mycoplasma, it is a life-long condition during which the birds will show symptoms sporadically, usually in times of stress.

You can treat the symptoms, but it will never go away completely (like when a human gets a cold sore, they get over one outbreak, but they then harbour the herpes virus forever).

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 13:09 »
hmmm does this mean my other birds are at risk.....I do not take lightly the decision to put an end to poor old louisa, but I do have to consider the others...also as today has gone on she is begining to look really fed up...I would hate to think she was suffering????

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 13:24 »
it is contagious and all the birds she has come into contact with should be treated at the same time just in case. I have two that suffer with it and so far none of the others have shown any signs. I have tried 3 types of antibiotics so it may be a case of either giving her a longer course or a different antibiotic. Try to keep her life as stress free as possible although when it comes time for her to moult it may flare up again - just be prepared and have some antibiotics in just in case - forewarned is forearmed and the earlier you can catch it the better to help minimise each outbreak. Do not breed from any bird that has had it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 15:04 »
Have just made the decision... not easy, but she had to go....first time I have had to do it...only lost one hen before and that was natural causes.

Despite antibiotics....has been on them for four days now she suddenly went rapidly down hill over the last few hours...Oh well it was quick and gentle...the joys of henkeeping....

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 23:49 »
so sorry, but if she was that bad then you did the right thing rather than prolonging her pain, huge hugs xxx

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 09:31 »
Thanks for your kind words......So pleased I had a friend with the experience to help as this was my first time!!!!  Hope i do not have to do it again for a long time.

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 09:41 »
Having animals comes with a lot of responsiblity and you did the right thing for her and the others chickens. It's not nice and nobody likes to take this course of action but most of us will have to do this (or get somebody else such as a vet to do it) at some time. It doesn't get any easier to do but so long as it is in the best interests for the flock as a whole then it must be done. I hope the rest of the girls are ok and will continue to thrive, huge hugs Joy xx

xx
Is it Chronic Respiratory disease?

Started by peewee_lane on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post November 07, 2008, 16:48
by mumsy
sad
Illness - Please Help

Started by propermanor on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 14:12
by joyfull
xx
Possible signs of illness

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 20:28
by beth123
xx
strange illness

Started by peter o on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 22:26
by grumpydad

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 40 queries.