Telescopic dilema

• 4 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Telescopic dilema
« on: September 07, 2020, 20:39 »
Good evening everyone (still up at this hour).
10 to 15 years ago I worked as a maintenance chap in a factory, I showed an interest in astronomy with another chap.  To cut a long story shorter he had a "Dark Star"  newtonian telescope 'in the shed gatheringh dust' and he lent it to me to get an idea about star gazing and help me decide if I wanted to purchase my own.

With the proton beam therapy to halt the growth of an ocular melanoma I am now left with a 'shredded' retina in my viewing eye and I can no longer use the telescope.  I have had no contact with this chap since the factory shut down and he never made it clear if the telescope was a long term loan or a gift.  It now sits in the corner of our conservatory taking up space (it's about 7" long and 2 1/2" wide).

The dilema,  I have tried to contact him with no joy and would like to hand on the telescope to another star gazer.    What to do ?

Cheers,  Tony.

I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

DanielCoffey

Re: Telescopic dilema
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 07:11 »
Is there a local "dark skies" forum or group in your area? You could explain the situation to them and if they don't have any better contact details for the original owner you could offer to donate it to them as a prize in a "new/young member lucky draw".

Growing Weather

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 07:45 »
I passed my Dobbo on to a local astronomical society. They were grateful to take it off my hands.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 11:17 »
Excellent ideas both,  I'll do it.

Cheers,  Tony.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 14:39 »
Glad you're being sorted, KW!

A few years ago, I saw a super telescope in a local charity shop, they wanted £15.00 and I wandered on, thinking a bit on what it could do, as we have a south-facing conservatory, so the night sky is fabulous! After some 'umming and aaring'. I went back a few days later, and asked to look at it again. The lovely lady explained that just only a few minutes ago, the original owner had returned very sheepishly, to deliver all the lenses, caps etc, which he'd just found in the boot of his car! I was none the wiser, but I gave them £20 for the lots and came home to set it up. bought it, hoping Mrs Growster wouldn't mind. (She didn't)!

So, that night, during one of the coldest nights ever, I set the thing up to look at the moon. It was stunning, beautiful, enigmatic and just an amazing sight...

...but my teeth were chattering so much, I missed all that, and after several nights of below-zero temperatures, I just admitted defeat, asked Patrick Moore to forgive me and put it back in its box.

When I retired later on that year, I packed up all the company's books, which was part of my job, and began to look around for a treat for one of my partners, who is a keen photographer, and we often chatted about long shots etc. So the telescope went in the same box, and I never told him that he was the new owner.

Of course, he found out a few days later...

I was so pleased to do this, and so should you, because some budding astronomer, maybe a youngster, will just adore it! (If it's an oldie like me who gets it, you may well get it back one day..;0)

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 43 queries.