Bully Problem

• 6 Replies

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Bully Problem
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:55 »
I don't know if anyone of here knows much about behavioural issues and cats, but if you do I need you!!!!

I have a problem with one of my cats bullying another to the point the bullied cat has now moved into the outside dog kennel (no dog in it thankfully!). They had lived together happily for over 18 months with no problems and then about 4 months ago, the bully Arwen, just started having the occasional swipe and grumble at the bullied cat Niblet.

In January as some of you know one of my pusstats passed away and Arwen used to bully him but he didn't care - one because he was bigger and two because he was so laid back that when she started he just ignored her (and this seemed to work as she would grumble swipe then strop off and no harm done). It seems as though since Thorsy passed away she has chosen Niblet as the next "victim".

I have tried reintroducing Niblet in the hope that would help, but it hasn't. I have now got Arwen on Zylkene and feliway pumping round the house. I give Arwen lots of positive attention - in fact she is by far the most cuddled cat in the house. She doesn't attack any other the others, although she is not "friends" with them she tolerates them and will curl up to sleep with them - I have 5 others 2 of which are semi-feral. The only "new" introduction is Spike (8 months) who came to live here just after Thorsy died and is a tamed feral kitten who she likes the most as I find as I find her sleeping with him often.

Really, I just want to know if there is anything else I can do? Mum & Dad (who as you know have 5 of their own!) have offered to take Niblet if I can't solve the problem but they are in the process of trying to move house so it could be months before they can take her and I'm also worried if Niblet goes Arwen will just start to bully another of the cats???

Any help would be really appreciated x

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Bully Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 12:45 »
Not terribly up on cats, but by the sound of things, Arwen will turn to someone else to bully if, as you say, she used to bully Thorsy....maybe Spike as he is new. Trouble is, they're not like dogs at all and not sure if there is anything you can do with independant cats.

No doubt someone will have the answer. Good luck and take care.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 13:15 »
I would say try the chicken approach and put Arwen in a cage for a few days, but I suppose when she is let out it could make her worse  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Safepets

• SafePets UK
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 20:52 »
Please do see a good behaviourist.  It can usually be solved, it may indeed require the use of a cage but it is worth asking before rehoming
Good luck

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 21:11 »
Hi Caralou

I have ten cats and have been involved with cats protection for fifteen years or so and have seen the devastating effects that bullying can cause within a cat colony. 

You mention you have several cats, some feral so I am assuming that your female bully is the senior lady of the house and has taken exception to Niblet who is perhaps reaching maturity ???

Feliway is fantastic and really does work, the only other thing that you could try would be to remove your bully as much as possible into her own space until the whole pecking order is re=established which will happen in due course.

Give Niblet lots of attention and make him feel secure especially when Arwen is perhaps in her own safe special place ie the huge double bed that the humans sleep in works!

It will settle down eventually some things just take a little time and as long as you give them all the space they need they will agree or agree to differ I suspect.

Good luck and big hugs  to arwen and niblet

Broody
if wishes were changes.......

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 22:00 »
Thank you for your replies  :)

I also foster with CP Feelingbroody, but not at the moment as don't want to add to the problems and far less experienced than you  :) And yes, Arwen is Top Kittie (and the first cat I had so used to being boss). Niblet was 6 monthish when she came in from the colony (dying from cat flu and a manky little mess). It has sadly got worse over the past few days and Arwen went for Niblet's throat and now Niblet won't come in at all (she weed on me in terror when I tried to bring her in). At the moment she has a bed in the shed and is spending her days with the ducks  ::) and she waits in the morning on the top of their house so that I can cuddle and feed her.

I've set up the spare room with litter tray etc and am bringing her in tomorrow morning and keeping her in for a week. I'll also as Fb suggests let Arwen come into my bedroom at night as well to give her more space but also attention away from the others. I'll let the other cats into Niblet so as to not isolate from them though (and her Caesar puss will want to cuddle up with her). I'm hoping that after a week of both on zylkene and the feliway I can try a slow reintroduction again with Arwen using a cage if need be.

What is breaking my heart is Niblet is behaving how she did at the cat colony I rescued from - over clingy and crying a lot (but thankfully the stress hasn't kicked her catflu back in which is a relief). Whereas over the last 18-24 months she had become confident and not crying although still occasional cuddles  :(

If it doesn't work Mum & Dad will take her even if they have not moved as they have her sister from the colony and a far more easy going bunch of kitbits!

Thank you all, I'll keep you updated x

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 15:51 »
Fingers Crossed for you Caralou, I have got a really bizarre recipe for boosting the immune system in cats that is not ours  :) so if you think it will help pm me and I will send it on to you, just may help to stop the re-occurrance of the cat flu

Broody x

xx
Cat with a gum problem

Started by John on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post December 05, 2009, 12:41
by John
question
Cat problem :(

Started by mumofstig on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2019, 14:42
by snowdrops
xx
I think I have a problem... :-)

Started by Nicki85 on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 22:41
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Bumble Bee Problem??

Started by Jae Dawn on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 22:24
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 39 queries.