new chicken

• 3 Replies

jakinpeter

new chicken
« on: July 04, 2010, 20:58 »
 we are new to chicken keeping,we got 4, 1 day old chicks but unlucky for us 2 weeks ago we relised 3 of them were cockrels  where we live we can not have cockrels  but we found a good home for them with a farmer who lives near to  us  by the way the farmer rung us up and said they are having a wale of a time with 60 hens. we went to get 1 P O L for violet the remaning chicken as she was so up set  to be on her own by the way we got rid of the cockrels and got the new chicken on the same day violet went mad the first day not having anything to do with the new chicken next day they both settled down and are fine together but the problem is with the new chicken she gets upset very easerly she comes in the house and has a walk round with violet u can not  get any where near the new one i managed to hand feed her a bit of  cabbage once she gets very vocal like a distress call . makes me not want to let her out of the run  violet is very tame and wants to be picked up so should i try to pick the new one up or leave her to come to me

ehs284

Re: new chicken
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 21:51 »
Keep on hand feeding and she'll settle, but may never be as placid as Violet and may never want picking up. Don't worry, so long as they are OK together, eating and healthy just give her time. I wouldn't try to pick her until she's ready. Every time she sees Violet with you she will gain a little confidence. They are pets but they're also hens and won't look on you as would a dog or cat. Mine consider me some sort of servant who needs shouting at all the time - or treating with contempt depending upon whether the neighbour has been giving them treats. ;)

jakinpeter

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 22:04 »
thanks for the advice ehs just got to give her time

Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 11:01 »
I have got 12 chickens but only 5 will let me pick them up. They all come to eat out of my hand but that is as far as it goes. Everyone is different and i woud'nt change it. :)

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
My chicken is ill?

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 17:49
by Aunt Sally
xx
Ill Chicken

Started by primrose1 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 00:31
by ANHBUC
xx
chicken poo

Started by freda on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 27, 2008, 21:43
by Vember

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 38 queries.