Mulch

• 11 Replies

ches

• Experienced Member
Mulch
« on: January 13, 2020, 08:44 »
Good morning everyone,

Nice quick one for a Monday morning. Whats everyone's thoughts on using shredded paper for a mulch on my no dig beds?

Cheers
Ches
Ches

rowlandwells

Re: Mulch
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 09:09 »
as we don't do no dig beds the only thing I can say is that we have used shredded paper in the past for our runner bean crops but that was dug in the ground and it did do the job because we had good bean crops

the only thing that comes to mind using shredded paper if it was spread over the plot would it be blown away come a strong windy day I suppose it depends on how fine you shredded it and the upside could be it would keep the weeds at bay but that's only my opinion other's mite not agree with my replies

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 09:13 »
as we don't do no dig beds the only thing I can say is that we have used shredded paper in the past for our runner bean crops but that was dug in the ground and it did do the job because we had good bean crops

the only thing that comes to mind using shredded paper if it was spread over the plot would it be blown away come a strong windy day I suppose it depends on how fine you shredded it and the upside could be it would keep the weeds at bay but that's only my opinion other's mite not agree with my replies

The wind issue did cross my mind but I thought wetting the paper might help that?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 10:57 »
Agree with Rowlandwells - think it would be very difficult in practice to prevent it drying out and blowing away on windy days (unless it rains every day for the next few months.  :ohmy:)

(Good 'brown' composting ingredient though.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 11:24 »
Agree with Rowlandwells - think it would be very difficult in practice to prevent it drying out and blowing away on windy days (unless it rains every day for the next few months.  :ohmy:)

(Good 'brown' composting ingredient though.)

I do use it in my compost but I have too much paper to use it all in my compost.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 21:32 »
It will encourage slugs as it gets wet if you could get it to stay there. No dig is about composted mulches, so add it to your compost, is it a constant supply? If so can you get some fresh manure & mix it up with that to speed on the compost process.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 09:10 »
It will encourage slugs as it gets wet if you could get it to stay there. No dig is about composted mulches, so add it to your compost, is it a constant supply? If so can you get some fresh manure & mix it up with that to speed on the compost process.

Paper is in constant supply. Manure is harder to come by

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 09:43 »
Shredded paper could be wetted and then put into a compost bin.  It would need some green stuff with it to rot it quickly.

Smelly, but possibly effective answer.  Soak it with water and chuck some pelleted chicken manure in there.  It should only take a day or so for it to be sodden. Tip resultant mix into compost with as much green stuff as you can muster, cover it and see what happens.  If you don't let the heap dry out, that will be beneficial.  Chicken manure is very high in nitrogen and will help kick things off.

If you need green stuff to compost, you could cut any long grass around your allotment site and use that, or leafy tops of nettles, docks and the like.  Soaking anything you have doubts about for a few weeks makes sure it doesn't sprout, but is smelly.

I have been known to scavenge off our communal dumping ground at my site as well.  You often find people have dumped useful stuff.  I got a whole barrow load of cleared crop material the other week.  Before you write me off as completely sad, mad  or dangerous to know, I was put onto it by a fellow plot holder, who has discovered the same trick and was filling his barrow with the same intentions of adding it to compost bins :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:58 by New shoot »

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 19:08 »
I will definitely try this! Thanks

groweate

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 17:03 »
We have   started and add paper to the compost mix but not mag color paper.

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 22:38 »
I tried if for the chickens’ bedding, but I found when it got wet the birds trod it into a solid mat. This might not be an issue without blooming great chickens trampling around on it, but I would think it might still compact in heavy rain, and then dry out into paper mache!  Use with caution in my opinion.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 22:53 »

I have been known to scavenge off our communal dumping ground at my site as well.  You often find people have dumped useful stuff.  I got a whole barrow load of cleared crop material the other week.  Before you write me off as completely sad, mad  or dangerous to know, I was put onto it by a fellow plot holder, who has discovered the same trick and was filling his barrow with the same intentions of adding it to compost bins :)

There are three plot holders on our site that give me all their green waste from both their plots and their gardens. You are not sad or mad, you can never get enough of the stuff. My wife brings home scrap paper from work to shred and add to my heaps as well.
Also, to help get paper composting quicker, never forget the sacred golden elixir....

xx
Best Mulch

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2021, 22:39
by muckyboots
xx
what mulch are you using?

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 18:16
by archies plot
xx
Pet hay as a mulch

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 12, 2012, 15:54
by bazh
xx
Low ph mulch

Started by waddecar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2007, 22:19
by milkman

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 52 queries.