HELP! I'm off to get compost/manure.......

• 13 Replies

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« on: June 09, 2007, 10:53 »
But I'm now so confused, I've no idea which one's best. I need one that's good for organic gardening, as I've not made any compost yet. A good multipurpose one - or do I need to buy different ones for different plants????

I've read about John Innes, but they come in numbers  :?:

Also read about Lakeland Gold.....

Somebody point me to the right direction please.

Oh, is it worth buying topsoil, like my MIL does for her flower garden?

When do you use compost, and when do you use manure?

Apologies for the million questions  :wink:
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 11:30 »
Hi and welcome.   :) I get confused too. I buy anything that hasn't got peat in it, and just got by price, BUT I know that isn't how you are supposed to do it.   :?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

WG.

Re: HELP! I'm off to get compost/manure.......
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 12:58 »
Quote from: "jacnal"
I need one that's good for organic gardening
If you are looking to buy actual organic compost then you will find it to be pricier than regular stuff.

If (as I recall from earlier posts) you are looking to go organic later then any compost will add needed humus.

Humus and nutrients are also supplied in abundance by manure although this is usually added to the compost heap or directly to the soil before planting particular crops, e.g. notably potatoes, courgette, garlic

chrissiethechippy

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 18:53 »
Not much help from me  :oops:  Just having a nose to see if I can get any tips  :D

I have been wondering how long you would have to add the manure before you can plant, say your potatoes?   :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 20:49 »
Quote from: "chrissiethechippy"
Not much help from me  :oops:  Just having a nose to see if I can get any tips  :D

I have been wondering how long you would have to add the manure before you can plant, say your potatoes?   :D

Well rotted manure could be added same day as you plant them IMHO.
I tend to put mine down after rough digging in the autumn, but I imagine some of the goodness is leeched away by the rain etc,
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

jacnal

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 21:17 »
Quote from: "Bagpuss"
Hi and welcome.   :) I get confused too. I buy anything that hasn't got peat in it, and just got by price, BUT I know that isn't how you are supposed to do it.   :?

Thanks Bagpuss. I just bought all organic stuff. All without peat. Got the multipurpose organic compost, AND also manure. Hopefully this time next year we'll be more knowledgeable.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 21:24 »
Persevere Jacnal, don't be like me and feel a failure if you don't know everything in the first year.  I now have a five year plan to get my veg plot nearly reasonable.  Plant only what you really enjoy eating and don't waste precious space on crops that are cheap to buy and take up a huge amount of space.  Above all enjoy your plot. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

jacnal

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 21:30 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
I need one that's good for organic gardening
If you are looking to buy actual organic compost then you will find it to be pricier than regular stuff.

If (as I recall from earlier posts) you are looking to go organic later then any compost will add needed humus.

Humus and nutrients are also supplied in abundance by manure although this is usually added to the compost heap or directly to the soil before planting particular crops, e.g. notably potatoes, courgette, garlic

Hey WG,

I've decided to try organic - by the *book* till I have to use say, glyphosphate on bindweed, but really mostly on those from the neighbouring plot trying to make their way over to mine! I'm still digging deep for those roots! Hope to stick with it - till I can't, which I hope is never. Surely once things are under control it should get easier, not harder. I've used ferrous phosphate on slugs though  :oops:.

It's true, organic is slightly more expensive, but I reckon it's worth it. I'll do a few extra shifts to pay for my chosen lifestyle! And also deny myself some not particularly necessary stuff, like brand new clothes and wine and new shoes  :wink:, and I'll hopefully make up for the wine with some home made elderflower or rhubarb champagne (when I can identify elder.....), and will continue getting clothes from charity shops!

jacnal

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 21:33 »

Oh C the C!!! Leeching off my answers, are you? Are you!?  :wink:

Well, we got a good answer re potatoes from Rich, so you're okay..... Let's learn together!

jacnal

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 21:44 »
Quote from: "Ice hockey mad"
Persevere Jacnal, don't be like me and feel a failure if you don't know everything in the first year.  I now have a five year plan to get my veg plot nearly reasonable.  Plant only what you really enjoy eating and don't waste precious space on crops that are cheap to buy and take up a huge amount of space.  Above all enjoy your plot. :lol:

Thanks for the advice, Ice hockey mad.

I really am only growing things I enjoy eating. I enjoy most veg really, and I'm worried my plot is quickly running out of space! I'm a little harder on myself. I really want to be self sufficient (to a point) in 3 years time, and want to get that plot looking great next year. Won't be hard on myself this first year, seeing as I really only started growing 4 weeks ago, and the plot wasn't prepared with compost/manure. Just grew where I'd dug up and weeded! Ah well, a few things growing still, so I'm happy at the mo! As for not knowing - I'm a complete novice, and I ask so many questions, but it's a learning process, so I'll use everyone I can to get info, then use what I feel is best for me. Thank God for this forum though! You've all been absolutely wonderful to me.......

WG.

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 22:36 »
Hey WG,

I've decided to try organic - by the *book* till I have to use say, glyphosphate on bindweed

... always here for advice but never for an admonishing lecture - it is your choice how you cope with the problems you encounter.

IMHO, organic gardening rapidly becomes cheaper since you don't buy remedies for this that and everything.  I'll concede that you might 'pay' a little more for your veg since losses might be higher and yields might be (initially) lower.  Once you build up the humus and fertility levels then life gets much easier and cheaper.

chrissiethechippy

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 07:57 »

Well, we got a good answer re potatoes from Rich, so you're okay..... Let's learn together!

:lol:  :oops:  :lol:

Good question and great answers  :D   Thank you Rich  :D

Ok, one more.......

does it matter if the manure has straw and chips in it?  Or does it have to be pure dung?  :?

hmmmm, what's wrong with peat?  I thought that was great for growing?  I have very fond memories of the peat bogs in Ireland, fantastic places  :D

jacnal

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 09:48 »

:lol:  :oops:  :lol:

Good question and great answers  :D   Thank you Rich  :D

Ok, one more.......

does it matter if the manure has straw and chips in it?  Or does it have to be pure dung?  :?

hmmmm, what's wrong with peat?  I thought that was great for growing?  I have very fond memories of the peat bogs in Ireland, fantastic places  :D

Hey Chrissy,

Hmmm, interesting. I just bought J Arthur's organic manure. Not a clue what exactly is in it.

Peat is absolutely fantastic, and the problem really is to do with conservation. They've been around hundreds, thousands of years, and they take that long to get formed, but we humans are taking far quicker than nature can replace, plus they are homes to many other organisms, hence need to be conserved. Have a look at wiki  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peat) and the Wildlife trust (http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/index.php). A google search will come up with more.

WG.

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 10:01 »
does it matter if the manure has straw and chips in it?  Or does it have to be pure dung?  

Rotted straw is best.  Straw is good, woodchip / sawdust is not.

xx
Manure question

Started by mashauk on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post November 25, 2007, 13:43
by mashauk
xx
Compost tea

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post December 18, 2012, 21:13
by infowarrior
xx
compost

Started by mr tibbs on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 19:40
by mr tibbs
xx
Hot Compost Bin

Started by Sparkyweb on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post September 24, 2022, 11:17
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 36 queries.