Toms in greenhouse

• 20 Replies

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
Toms in greenhouse
« on: March 18, 2013, 17:53 »
Looking at the weather in the south (cold) has anyone sown tomato seeds yet, I have a small unheated greenhouse with a electric propergater.
I'm lost without my SatNav.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Toms in greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 18:05 »
I was just debating whether to start mine soon, I usually do about this time  :happy:

They end up going out in the greenhouse at the end of April under a polythene cover if the nights are cold.

I think I'll leave it for another week or so, as the long range is for a cool April, as well, here  :(

Chrysalis

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 18:58 »
Mine are in the kitchen at the cold end of the conservatory.  Will have to pot on next weekend, but not putting them into greenhouse for ages.  They'll just be moved around the house to available spaces for a bit!

Totty

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 19:10 »
If you have a heated prop you could just make a small sowing, and wait a couple of weeks to be on safe side for the rest.

Totty

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 07:12 »
If you have a heated prop you could just make a small sowing, and wait a couple of weeks to be on safe side for the rest.

Totty

That is what I have done .... only sowed 2 of my 6 varieties, will sow the rest when we start seeing a break in the weather ..... had a terrible year for toms last year if I they didnt get dampened off they got blight! ended up with only a few tomatoes in the GH!
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 07:20 »
I've only sown enough for the heated greenhouse.

I would normally be sowing the rest now, but in view of the weather and the fact we're going away next weekend, I'm holding off until the start of April.

Last thing I want is them germinating in the plastic bag if no one's going to whip them out!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 19:50 »
Mine have been out in the unheated greenhouse since early feb and doing fine.
I am very far south though and the greenhouse is in a sheltered corner of the garden.

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 10:59 »
I have just planted my tom seeds, just a, opps packet, they just all popped out.
Fingers crossed the weather will get better.
Reg

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 17:18 »
I have 6 plants in paper tubes sat in a cut down beer crate sat on the table in my motor-home as we travel through Spain on the way home, no doubt they will have to stay in the house until the green house is warmer. ::)

Headgardener22

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 20:07 »
I sowed my toms on the 21st and 22nd March in a bubblewrapped frame within a bubblewrapped polytunnel. I put plastic milk bottles full of hot water under the frame at night to try and avoid the worst of the cold.

With the sun over the last few days, the temperature has got up to 28C under the cover and today I had a load of seedlings showing themselves - dead chuffed :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 14:59 »
Could you not have grown a few indoors to save  lot of hassle, they only take 4-5 days. Or would you have have domestic hassle if you tried?  :lol:

Headgardener22

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 17:02 »
My plan is to grow 70+ different varieties of tomato this year, a couple or three of each variety. Last year I grew 60, in a range of colours, shapes and sizes and the problem with doing them inside is preventing them getting too leggy, I think by doing them in the polytunnel, they are stronger.

I'm also going to try grafting some this year, anybody had any experience. I've seen a video on the web and it doesn't look too difficult  :tongue2:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 17:07 »
I have no problems whatsoever growing them inside. I've over 100 on the go now. Do you not use the aluminium foil trick? Saves messing about with hot water bottles!

Headgardener22

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 17:15 »
I only had to "mess about with hot water bottles" for a couple of nights. Now that there is more sun, the bottles warm up in the day and the night time temperature has stayed above 5C unaided for the last week.

Last year I grew them inside (much earlier than this year) and took them outside to the greenhouse for sun but taking 300 seedlings in and out was a pain (especially when I dropped a tray and lost 50) so I was trying a method that took less handling this year.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 17:20 »
Tomatoes really need 10C. 5C could set them back and turn them blue - literally!

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 40 queries.