Young Chicks

• 5 Replies

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
Young Chicks
« on: August 04, 2010, 19:08 »
Hello everyone. Last weekend I bought four new chickens ranging from 16 - 19 weeks of age. These include a Maran, two Aracauna and a Silky-Sussex cross. This is the first time I have had young birds, the rest I've had were about 18 months old when I got them, and I was wondering how long it would take the birds to reach full size mainly out of curiosity. If anyone has an idea could you please let me know. Cheers.

hillfooter

Re: Young Chicks
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 19:34 »
Your birds will reach sexual maturity at around 24 weeks plus or minus a couple of weeeks or so.  They will be almost fully grown by then though they will continue to develop slowly and and gain weight and their feathering increase through their first year.
HF
Truth through science.

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 21:14 »
OK cheers for that. Presumably there is likely to be a large growth spurt then between now and then? The birds are quite small and was beginning to wonder if they were bantam versions, although they weren't sold as that.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 21:20 »
a lot of araucanas (especially the lavander colour) do seem to be turning out smaller. I put it down to the latest fad of everybody wanting lavender hens that lay blue eggs so the breeders in order to cash in bred from birds that were under a year old rather than a more mature hen.
Where abouts in Lincolnshire are you D? There are a lot of us from the Lincs area - several of us have araucanas.
Staffies are softer than you think.

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 22:16 »
It just so happens that the two Aracauna I have are Lavender, to be fair though, there not my first blue egg layers - I also have a Cream Legbar. Again we were wondering about the Aracauna's size since they are even smaller than the Maran and since I've not had young birds I was wondering about the growth time.
I come from Sleaford. How about you Joyfull?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 22:18 »
Donington so not far away. Marans are a heavier and bigger chicken anyway so the size will show but not to worry araucanas have a bit of an attitude so they will be ok with the others  :lol:

xx
Young chicks

Started by Boxfanman on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 18:35
by woodside farm
xx
young chicks

Started by legendjeff on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 11:28
by legendjeff
xx
Can i mix young chicks?

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 09:36
by Jellyhead
xx
How young can I de-lice chicks?

Started by rkclive on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 08:14
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 36 queries.