Sweet Potatoes

• 5 Replies

flopsy

Sweet Potatoes
« on: February 15, 2012, 16:09 »
Hi, i'm looking to grow sweet potatoes this year for the first time, i've started as suggested in the blog by suspeding a sweet potatoe in a jar of water held in place by 3 cocktail sticks.
My question is how long dose it take before any roots/shouts show, as i've had this in my windowsill for the past 6 weeks with no growth of any kind.
Cheers Pete

Trillium

Re: Sweet Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 16:20 »
The fresh one I started last year didn't put any bottom shoots out for 3 months, then another month before top sprouts appeared. It was too late for planting out last year so I held it over for this year.

Growth inhibitors sprayed on for storage could be slowing down progress so just be patient, or, get a potato from a different source and try again. maybe this one won't be sprayed (its impossible to know this beforehand unless the potato was certified organic).

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 16:41 »
Ooh, I've just read the sticky after reading this post, and this looks like fun!  I have 2 sweet potatoes in the cupboard, is it too late to start them off now?
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 19:31 »
Give it a go. Some folk are lucky and the sprouts come within a month.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 19:47 »
Ooh, I've just read the sticky after reading this post, and this looks like fun!  I have 2 sweet potatoes in the cupboard, is it too late to start them off now?

Try soaking them in a bucket of cold water for 24 hours before suspending in water - I did this last year and mine started rooting within a fortnight, with the first "chit" appearing a week later (this year a saved tuber from last year showed the first sign of roots within a week and the first chit shortly after!)  :ohmy:

The "theory" is that soaking will remove any anti-sprouting chemicals it might have been sprayed with, but I can't guarantee that this will always work (it could be I was just lucky with the variety), but it certainly worked for me!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

allotment south wales

• welcome
    • allotment grower
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 20:17 »
if you are stuck and cant get them growing in time  suttons have a turbo grafted range of plants availible at most garden centers in april / may including sweet potatoes  Beauregard ..

do not buy direct £9   at garden center on offer £3.99

do use slug control or pellets

as our crop in 2011 in the polytunnel 45 % for the slugs 55% for us...
keep it organic and you will see the difference including taste......

xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
sweet potatoes

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 20:26
by mumofstig
xx
Sweet Potatoes

Started by mraggett on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 15:25
by aelf
xx
Sweet Potatoes

Started by blinkey5bt on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 19, 2021, 17:19
by Plot94

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 39 queries.