Fitting rabbit..any clues anyone??

• 3 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
Fitting rabbit..any clues anyone??
« on: December 27, 2010, 19:55 »
Up until last night, I had a 5 year old, felmale dwarf lop rabbit. SHe's alwyas lived indoors, always had the option to roam freely, but has chosen not to for the past 3 years, choosing to spend all her time in an open cage :(  She's always been healthy, grumpy but very healthy, claws clipped, loved a head and ear stroke, no issues with her at all.
Tea time yesterday she was fine, 11pm, she's gone off her back legs but kept jumping round the cage and falling over. By 1pm she was having full blown....fits, I presume, arching her back so that her head touched her bum, rigid limbs, eyes vacant, and panting. She'd relax for a few seconds, but still shallow panting, and then do it again. Everynow and then she'd thrash wildly around the cage and start the arching thing again. AFter 3 hours of this, and her breathing becoming more laboured, my OH decided to do the kind thing. There were no vets open within reachable distance, the one we phoned said it probably was neurological and that she's be gone by the morning anyway. Awful night.
Anyone had anything similar or have any idea what it could be?? I'm just amazed at how quickly it came on and how fast she deteriorated.
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Fitting rabbit..any clues anyone??
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 20:26 »
So sorry you had such an awful time with your rabbit. I hope you manage to get to the bottom of it.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:50 »
Poor you - that sounds horrible  :(  You did the best thing you could have done and ended her suffering. 

She could  have been dehydrated or running a temperature due to some underlying illness and that could have set off the fits, but that's typical of animals.  Don't show illness until it gets really serious and then it's too late to help  ::)

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 00:42 »
Next doors female dwarf lop passed in much the same way. One minute she was hopping around her pen then started fitting and before he could get her to the vets she passed. Rabbits have a fairly short lifespan and sadly this does seem the most common way for them to go  :( Five years is a good time for them and it sounds like she lived it happily and spoilt  :) Sorry for the loss x

xx
Evil rabbit

Started by chloe on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 20:42
by chloe
xx
Pet rabbit diets

Started by jimthejimjim on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 10:42
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Rabbit Cages.

Started by fuzzy1983 on Pets without Feathers

19 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 10:57
by ANHBUC
xx
Pregnant rabbit? ..

Started by chloe on Pets without Feathers

20 Replies
Last post November 21, 2010, 14:20
by evie2

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 41 queries.