Advice re Dadant Beehive offer

• 9 Replies

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
Advice re Dadant Beehive offer
« on: April 13, 2010, 21:42 »
Hi

There is a guy local to us who is selling two new Dadant beehives together with all accessories required (everything except the bees) for €300. This looks like a good offer as the items cost €520 new.

I am planning to setup a couple of hives in the next year or so, but don't really know much about beekeeping yet. Can any experienced beekeepers advise whether I should consider buying the lot (having established what everything is) or whether I should be able to get everything I need for less than €/£300 if I take my time and research what I need  :unsure:

Any advice greatly received, especially if you think I'd be mad to buy the kit before I've looked into the different options available.

Many thanks in advance

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Advice re Dadant Beehive offer
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 22:12 »
sorry cant help you with this but out of curiosity why is he selling them?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 22:19 »
Good question. I'll add that to my list!

I'm playing it cool at the moment, while I try to gather some info before I ring him for a chat.

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 22:21 »
it seems strange that somebody would buy two and all the kit then sell it just like that at quite a bit lower than cost - perhaps I'm just getting cynical in my old age  ;)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:26 »
People do it with chickens all the time Joy!....Maybe they are 'want that's'........i have a 'friend' who is quite well off (well her mother is) and every time someone gets something new, or talks about their wish list, she trots off to mummy and gets her to buy it.She always gets everything, always top of the range......then 2months down the line she cant be bothered and its time for her next fad. Im not saying this is the reaon, but im sure its a good one what ever it is.Good luck on keeping bee's, i think quite a few people on here do it, it looks like a fab hobby-something i would like to do in the future, so please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on with your new 'friends' when you get them :D

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 07:32 »
maybe but to buy 2 and not use them? at least with chickens it's usually when they have a winter that they can't cope or when they have to clean them out.
Bee keeping though - whilst I find them fascinating to watch (from a distance) and know that they are paramount to our fruit and veg fertilization I couldn't keep them - they scare me witless.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 18:21 »
lol....im like that with wasps....im soooooo scared, but not of bees....(i know, im strange) :D

Lichfield Lass

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 08:05 »
When I'm considering an impulsive/risky purchase, I calculate how much I could sell the item for if it doesn't get used.

Obviously, you will have the hassle of moving your "white elephant" on, but if you think that you could at least get your money back, then it may be worth the risk.
Dogs have owners, cats have staff

Snoop

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 09:17 »
I'd talk to your local beekeeping association. My impression is that Dadant hives are not that popular in the UK. If you're thinking of doing a course, joining your local association or getting a bee mentor, you might be better off sticking with the kind of hives that are used locally so that you know how they are managed.

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 07:21 »
Thanks everyone.

We're in France where the Dadant Hives are the most popular.

I've been reading up about beekeeping and I think I'll leave it a year or so until I have more time to find a mentor and learn what's needed.

I think this will be the Year of the Chicken Project instead

Coincidentally, I'm in the final stages of putting a polytunnel up and a herd of bumble bees have started building their nest in the ground just inside where the polytunnel door will be. Great to have resident pollinators. Just need to get the cover and doors up and get some veggies in there now  :)

xx
D.I.Y. beehive and beekeeping.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 21:00
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Beehive in other people's gardens...

Started by poultrygeist on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 19:05
by poultrygeist
xx
Can a beehive stand next to an ornamental pond?

Started by gardgydja on Pets without Feathers

29 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 14:46
by NigelB
xx
Bee advice please

Started by domw001 on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2013, 11:41
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 38 queries.