Allotment rules re: Beehives

• 10 Replies

Asherweef

Allotment rules re: Beehives
« on: June 24, 2013, 21:52 »
Evenin'

Just a quick question - I haven't yet got my allotment(!) but I'm wondering what the general rules are about bees... I know that we can't keep poultry or livestock but I would guess that bees don't come under that category? -- certainly not poultry! -- My significant other has stated without any uncertainty that a beehive will not be allowed in the backyard so this is my only option...

...give me hope!

Asherweef

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Allotment rules re: Beehives
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 22:11 »
Each site is likely to have its own rules. 

The Allotments Act does not provide you with the right to keep bees; only hens and rabbits.  So you are dependent on the permission of the site owner. 

Our council insists that you have attended the BBKA course before applying, and only permit a certain number of hives within a certain radius. 

You also need proper insurance in the event that someone suffers injury as a result of the bees.  For example, I was stung by a bee from a hive being dealt with by a substitute bee keeper while the owner was on holiday.  The substitute keeper had her own hives but wasn't using a smoker to subdue the bees.  Luckily she was on site and was able to remove the sting from immediately under my eye, but it could have been far worse, particularly if I had an allergy.  (I didn't claim on the insurance or anything, just mentioning what might happen).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ghost61

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 08:50 »
I am hoping to have bees on my allotment next year. On our site, you have to have the backing of the majority of plot holders, insurance, and a bee buddy who can look after them if things happen when you're ill or on hols etc. keeping the hive in the centre of your plot, so that it is as far away as possible from other plots may help, and also ensuring that the hive cannot be knocked over by nosey people, foxes or the wind is essential.

Hope you go ahead with this, my fellow plot holders are all for t, even though the bees probably won't feed on the site! But then, I haven't told them that!!  ::)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 09:11 »
I wouldnt be too keen on anyone having a hive on ours, especially for the allergy reason. Maybe if i knew more about bees i wouldnt mind so much, there is nothing in our t and cs either way for our site.

Eblana

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 11:52 »
Ours doesn't allow them but as a compromise the owner of the site has given those interested in bee keeping an area down the road in the garden of a disused house that he also owns - I believe that there are now 8 hives there.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 15:24 »
It's amazing how many folk go all screamy-slappy when bees are around and often cause more problems for themselves. Eblana's site owner has the right idea - place them in their own site away from regular gardeners. True, we all appreciate the pollinators but if folks aren't simply allergic, then they often try to slap away the bees as if bees should be on the plotter's off-time schedule or something.

But one serious problem we have here is people who move their hives around put their hives at greater risk of contacting foul brood other other nasty diseases. Always inquire very carefully before placing your hives.

Asherweef

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 15:55 »
Thanks for the replies.

I find it a bit of a shame that it is such a contentious issue, though I understand that the potential for an allergic reaction is a major thinking point. I am currently trying to train my significant other to realise that bees are our friend and not our enemy!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 16:05 »
I think lots of the contention is about where the hives are placed and how they are looked after, as has already been said. Ours are on part of the site that is too boggy to be cultivated, in an enclosure that's been hacked out of brambles. It does make sense to keep them out of the way, just to give them some peace.

The screamy-slappy (great phrase that!) brigade frustrate me entirely. I have seen someone stung but they were doing a brilliant impression of a windmill on acid. Can't help thinking that if they'd stood still/stayed calm/not lost all common sense, they'd have been fine.

I hope you get your bees Asherweef!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 18:58 »
I was talking to a guy who keeps bees a few months ago and he has developed an allergic reaction to their stings so he carries an Epipen just in case.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 19:10 »
I was talking to a guy who keeps bees a few months ago and he has developed an allergic reaction to their stings so he carries an Epipen just in case.

That word gives me shivers i hate having to carry one for florence but needs must.  Poor bloke  :wacko:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 19:54 »
He still loves bee keeping though and I think he is high up in the BBKA. 

xx
I know the rules.... so here is the photo

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

39 Replies
Last post August 16, 2012, 11:35
by evie2
xx
ahhh they need a home hehe on your allotment

Started by Beetroot queen on Pets without Feathers

14 Replies
Last post November 13, 2009, 12:57
by AmandaH

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 38 queries.