Advice needed please - purple comb

• 3 Replies

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Advice needed please - purple comb
« on: October 12, 2010, 16:06 »
Our ex batt Jennifer has been with us for 17 months. Her comb has looked a shade paler the last few days, but I've just been out to give them all their corn and the tip of her comb is a definite purple.

Has anyone got advice or comments and most of all suggestions if we need to get her treatment Please?
Thanks
Kathie
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

orchardlady

Re: Advice needed please - purple comb
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 18:27 »
I would think that there are three options here.

1. She has worms...solution..worm her.

2. It's the time of year. The equivalent of cold hands. Chickens display their circulation in their combs, whereas we get white or even blue fingers from cold, chickens can get lightly purple combs on the pointy tips.

3. Her heart is beginning to fail. She is probably well over 3 years old and combined with a tough start in life and her breed she is probably getting to be quite an old girl.

Best wishes. OL

Jeanette

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 11:19 »
As said before when the comb goes purple at the ends it can be because her heart is failing. Ex bats have had a tough time in the past and at 3 years old she is doing really well but she is getting on a bit now. :(
I have got ex bats and it is very sad that they only have a short time with us but they have  a happy time.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 11:53 »
Hi there and thanks to you both.

I've spent time with her this morning, no worms in her poo, they were all treated last month.  The temperature has dropped but we have had really good weather for the last few days and we live in on a plateau in a cutting on a steep hillside so are very sheltered. 

So unfortunately it would seem that she is showing signs of old age :(  Will will keep an eye on her to make sure she is eating and drinking and see what the next few days bring.

Thanks again
Kathie

question
Purple tip to comb?!

Started by gibbo on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 18:51
by Beakybird
xx
greyish/purple comb

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 13:55
by Casey76
xx
slightly purple comb

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 15:45
by Bodger
xx
Lethargic chuck with purple?! Comb

Started by haychickilady on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 13:53
by hen maiden

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 35 queries.