Chickwatch!

• 8 Replies

pandora

Chickwatch!
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:38 »
My first incubator hatch has begun. I spent last night paranoid that I had either turned the humidity up too early and drowned them all in their shells, or that I hadn't turned it up emough and they would all get stuck. But this morning I have 2 pipped eggs and one that is rocking and cheeping for all it's worth! I am worried about the 2 that have pipped. They have a tiny chip of egg removed from them, which was how I found them this morning, but nothing has changed since then. The rocking egg, though it really going for it and has managed to make big cracks across the egg in quite a short space of time (a couple of hours.)

Someone come and reassure me! (Btw I know not to touch for at least 24 hrs.)

pandora

Re: Chickwatch!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:38 »
The rocking egg chick is nearly out, but in all that time the other 2 eggs have not progressed. One has not changed at all, and the other has removed about another 3-4mm of shell from it's little hole and then nothing for a few hours. Should I be worried about these 2 eggs? And none of the other eggs have started to do anything yet. I had 4 leghorns (all fertile, I started with 6 and discarded 2,) 6 legbar (all fertile) and 6 maran (too dark to tell.) The eggs which have pipped but are not progressing are maran eggs, and the rocker is a legbar. Today is day 21. Any words of wisdom? How long should they take to hatch?

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 12:41 »
Hi Pandora

Don't worry - it can take ages (24h) for them to hatch... just like a watched kettle never boils a watched egg never hatches!  Suggest you leave them to it.  If the temp and humidity are right and the eggs are fertile and from good stock they should hatch.  There is always one who has to hatch first... probably a cockerel... only kidding!

Good luck

Sarah
Mad chicken woman

pandora

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 13:10 »
One out! A female cream crested legbar. It's resting now. 2 exchequer leghorn eggs are rocking around like mad now. Still nothing more from the pipped maran eggs  :unsure:

lisa80

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 15:33 »
Our hatch day was tues  :)some do take much longer than others to get out ,i cant get anything done when a hatch is on  ::)can keep away from my incy :D.My dad sat there for an hour tues night and refused to leave until one hatched,which it did eventually :) :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 17:17 »
Congratulations on the hatched one. The wait for them to fight their way out is always nerve-wrecking! Hope the rest are out soon and are all girls!

I've got 2 weeks before my ducklings are due and already getting excited.  :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

pandora

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 09:01 »
10 out now - 2 leghorns, 3 marans and 5 legbars. Sadly 3 of the legbars are boys, so there may have to be a quiet word with them while my daughter isn't looking. Not much eating on a legbar cockerel, I think! 2 are still working on getting out - if I end up with 14 chicks from 17 eggs I will be very pleased indeed!

lisa80

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 16:21 »
Im still not sure about my legbars  :( 1 is very dark no white spot 2 are a bit lighter with white spot and 1 is very very light with spot am hoping 3 girls one boy.have done a search and found that girls can have the white spot but really not sure  ::)incy is now full again  ::)not all my eggs tho :D

Jeanette

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 12:10 »
I have been reading allabout your hatching chicks and i just want to say how jealous i am  i wish i could persuade my hubby to let me do it but it is no go  ???

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 33 queries.