nesting box for sleeping

• 6 Replies

wilson5

nesting box for sleeping
« on: September 21, 2009, 23:11 »
My three chooks are using their nesting box's for toilets and then sleeping on top of it.   Have tried blocking them off on a night just found that they all were very unsettled.  The light sussex was perching but she is older and hopfully near to laying (about 6/7 months old) could it be that the other two are younger or as I suspect they are both male!!!  Their tail feathers seem to be getting longer and straggly, they are mixed ancona/moran.    They also puff up their neck feathers when having a spat also have noticed one of the mixed hen seems to be getting picked on with specks of blood on its wings?  Anyone got any  pics of moran or ancona cockerels?

Hope this makes sense its late me very tired but can only get my hands on laptop when three kids have gone to bed ???

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
Re: nesting box for sleeping
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 07:23 »
you could try lifting them onto the perches once they are settled into the nest boxes, if it's almost dark go in with a torch and quietly move them.  I had to do this for 2 weeks before mine roosted properly but it was worth it for the clean eggs.
Sorry can't help with the breeds, someone else may be along soon though.  :)
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

peter o

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 07:25 »
hi
I had a similar problem with hens sleeping in the nest boxes I used to just pick out the poo but now I put some bits of board between the nest boxes and the coop to stop them geting in at night. I then have beautiful clean nest boxes every day. :D

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 08:07 »
all my ex-batts sleep in the nest boxes ???...to be honest after the life they had had, if thats where they want to sleep, they can. Every morning though, as soon as i let them out, i poop scoop, it only takes two ticks and it keep every where clean :)

scrappydoo

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 11:24 »
Hi All :D as I've said before I have six girls about 7 - 8 months old but 3 new girls from grannieannie two weeks ago which are probably around 14-15 weeks, they are all in the same Coop/Run although the youngsters are often chased back into the coop during the day. Although there are two seperate perches the young ones have started sleeping in the nest box's (and pooping) plus on top of a wall mounted plastic container (under bed type) with all their food in >:(. This has obviously upset the sleep patterns of my older girls as I found an egg on top of it this morning :ohmy:. My concern is that if as suggested I cover the nest box's, even though most days they are let out around 0630 - 0730 where are they likely to lay their eggs?

Regards

Steve
Groucho Marx:
Chicken? What about chicken? Why, I had an uncle who thought he was one. My aunt almost divorced him, but we needed the egg

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 12:34 »
cover the nest boxes late afternoon, go and remove it when they are all asleep then they can lay in the boxes in the morning. :)

scrappydoo

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 13:05 »
Duh :unsure:!! Thanks Samantha, good Idea :D.

question
chooks sleeping in nesting boxes

Started by slop jockey on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 21:53
by slop jockey
xx
chickens sleeping in nesting area

Started by ryan on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 14:17
by Flowerpower136
xx
chickens sleeping in nesting boxes - advice needed

Started by brownp on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 09:45
by Henlady
xx
sleeping out

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 22:57
by jo40

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 38 queries.