New border advice

• 6 Replies

Sparkyweb

New border advice
« on: March 03, 2021, 18:05 »
So with a lilac bush dying, new fence panels installed (2 were linked) and with a new found interest in gardening one of my side lawn border is due for some TLC.
It’s currently 0.5m wide and 5.5m long. I’m thinking of widening the border, there’s currently a stepping stone path that runs parallel to the border which is approx 0.5m away from the edge of the border. I’m thinking of widening the border to around 0.85m so that I can still use the path. (It gets used a lot, my office is at the end of this path).

So my questions...
Any comments on design? I have a few Dahlia tubers I got cheap that I’d like to plant in this area.
Is the width ok (can’t really move the path though) but I could go all the way to the path. I was think of leaving a little gap so it didn’t look odd in winter but could have flowers brushing on to the path in the summer.
Theres a buddleia and Japanese maple currently in the border that I’d like to keep but guess I could plant underneath that.
Also should I prepare the beds before planting.
Any other comments on what to do, what to plant etc.

Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: New border advice
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 18:57 »
I'd add some compost/manure to refresh the bed and dig it over to remove as many of the lilac roots as you can, because it likes to sucker all over the place, in my experience.
WRT what to plant, what do you like?   :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 18:59 »
0.85m would give you more depth to play with, and less of a strip of lawn to mow.  Also, you can get a rain shadow next to a wall or fence, so a wider border might help address that issue a little more.

You don't say which way the border faces and how high the adjoining fence is - how much sun will plants in the border get?

The addition of organic matter (compost, leaf mould, manure etc) will always improve soil quality, no matter what type of soil.

But additional fertilisers will be dictated by the nature of the planting.

Think about how much of the planting you want to be permanent (shrubs etc.) and how much you want to be annually replaced.  You don't want too much immediately underneath the acer and buddleia because of competition for water, nutrients and light.  How big are these existing plants/trees?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Sparkyweb

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 19:09 »
Thanks for the quick replies!

My garden is pretty much east facing and this fence being on the left is north.
The fence is about 5’ with a trellis piece on top.

Owing to the fence replacement etc I reckon I’ve got most of those roots out, getting them out was a task though so wise words there!
Both the buddleia and the acer are around 5 to 6’ tall but not too bushey
I don’t think I want too much in the way of shrubs just some colour and greenery spread. Maybe some tall grass?

What’s a rain shadow?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 20:56 »
A rain shadow means the fence will stop rain falling onto the soil right next to it.  Imagine an ordinary shadow cast by sunlight from nearly, but not quite overhead.  The dark shadowed part would be the dry area where the rain misses.

A north facing border still gives you lots of options for plants, but it will be a cooler shadier area and sun lovers might sulk a bit.  Hellebores would do well, as would ferns, Japanese Amenones and hardy fuchsias.  Grasses generally want south facing spots, but you could try Carex pendula.  Liriope looks like grass, but has pretty purple flowers in autumn and copes with shade.  There is a green leaved form and a silver variegated one.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 21:11 »
Just clarifying further - if the garden faces east, and the fence is on the left as you look out towards the garden, i.e. on the north side of the garden, then is the border on the south side of the fence?

If that's the case then you have a greater range of plants which will like the conditions.

Sparkyweb

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 21:21 »
That’s correct Yorkie. I should have made it clearer, my garden is east facing so the fence on the left is to the north but as the border is this side of it they are south facing.... (it’s been a long day but I’m sure that’s right) however my neighbours side of this fence would be north facing right?

xx
Herbaceous border advice please

Started by Faz on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 09:49
by blackisgreen
xx
Problematic Border

Started by KT on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 17:30
by sion01
xx
Shaded border

Started by Eblana on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 13:02
by Silkychicks
xx
Problem border

Started by Diddy Gardener on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2015, 10:40
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 39 queries.