Worms or Marek's?

• 4 Replies

ClarefromOxford

Worms or Marek's?
« on: June 27, 2009, 12:17 »
Just to follow up from my previous message...

Poorly hen is very much the same - haven't found any worms in her poo (I was actually bizzarely looking forward to seeing some as that would have explained things!), and no mites when I looked last night (that's a relief)...

I could believe it's a neurological problem, but I'm not convinced she's paralysed as she can definately wriggle about and kick her legs, and re the other symptoms of Marek's, her eyes are fine and no obvious growths on skin.

She is constantly gaping/wretching - I've felt her crop and have read up on sour crop - it certainly seems 'gurgly' and blows up with air and it was still soft with something this morning. She's still happy to take food/liquids down when I give them to her. Do hens ever actually vomit? I haven't tried the 'crop emptying' strategy...

Overall though she's basically pretty unwell and I think I might have to dispatch her over the w/e- as little as I relish the thought of doing that I think she's suffering enough. :( :( :( :( :(

Any other thoughts much welcomed.
Clare :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Worms or Marek's?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 12:31 »
Mix up some food with some live yogurt.  It could replace any shortage of calcium and phosphorous that is making her weak.  If you can give her a little cod liver oil for viatmin D so much the better (but with all the sunshine recently it's not likely to be a vit D deficiency).  The good bacteria in the yogurt may help her crop.

ClarefromOxford

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 12:53 »
Thanks Sally.
 I am using live yoghurt with the food. Could try the cod liver oil - they live in a covered area so they get lots of day-light but not huge amounts of direct sun...

Clare  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 12:56 »
Did you say that you'd look down her threat for lung worms ?

If you suspect gape (lung) worms give a double long session of flubenvet.  The are harder to get the medication to than gastric worms.

ClarefromOxford

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 13:42 »
I've looked as best I can down her throat and there's nothing I can see - I can't see very far down though. I have got one of those wooden drinks stirrers from the train, that would be a good tongue depressor if I can keep her still long enough!

Maybe I'll persist a bit longer with the treatment if you say gape worm is harder to treat - only on day4... Also just thought -  if gape worm tends to be in trachea / lungs, would they come out eventually through her digestive tract??

CLare

xx
Marek's Disease

Started by fluffy on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 10:05
by T C
xx
Marek's Disease

Started by Beth on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 16, 2008, 17:28
by Beth
xx
Worms in heap -good , worms in hens - bad.

Started by 8doubles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 08:37
by ehs284
xx
Lame pullet- probably Marek's

Started by jhub on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post August 12, 2012, 13:20
by kegs

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 33 queries.