Fertile egg query

• 2 Replies

Helenaj

Fertile egg query
« on: February 24, 2011, 09:14 »
Hi folks. I know I've posted quite a bit on here lately, but there's always a mine of information available if you have a query! I have 7 eggs in my incubator and have 7 days to go before hatching. When I candled the eggs last night, one egg seems more advanced than the others. It's definately fertile and not an "exploding" egg, but the egg seems a lot fuller than the others. I have 5 Australorp eggs and 2 of my own fertlie eggs which I took after my broody rejected them. The broody has been sitting on the 2 eggs half a day less than the incubator ones, but it is one of my own eggs that seems more developed. I'm absolutely certain of the dates my eggs went under the broody, so l know they have not been brooded longer. Is it possible that eggs under a broody develop faster or can eggs hatch before the 21 day deadline?

hillfooter

Re: Fertile egg query
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 11:11 »
It's possible that eggs hatched in different ways will hatch at different times who knows?  It depends to a large extent on moisture loss.  Also they can look very different once the chick has developed to this stage.  You should stop turning and disturbing them on day 18 and raise the humidity to around 60% RH so I'd just let them be now

Personally I just candle twice any way after 5 days to discard the clear eggs and at 10 days to check development.  Provided all seems well at 10 days I just let them run to term.  When half have hatched I transfer to a brooder.  Then allow another 24 hrs to transfer the remainder.  If there are eggs which haven't pipped by 48hrs after the first transfer you can usually assume they won't hatch.

HF
Truth through science.

Helenaj

Re: Fertile egg query
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 12:31 »
Thanks Hillfooter. I usually only candle twice, but because this egg even at the early stage looked more developed l thought l'd give it one more candle. My incubator is automatic so will stop turning after day 18 anyway.
I do have an Orpington cockerel running with my ladies (as well as a Welsumer), but thought he may be a bit young yet to tread the ladies. It may be I have a giant chick!

question
If an egg is fertile?

Started by chicken george25 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 08:11
by bood77
xx
Eggs still fertile?

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 19:13
by maggiem
xx
Are all eggs fertile?

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 19:24
by babe
xx
Too many fertile eggs!!

Started by 4179alison on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2011, 13:19
by joyfull

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 35 queries.