Rain/weather shelter for Chickens?

• 6 Replies

mollie15

Rain/weather shelter for Chickens?
« on: October 11, 2009, 10:23 »
Hi,
I have 16 chickens but there are three who are the bosses and when the weather is bad they go into the coop for cover but wont let the rest of the chickens in there with them.  I am looking for some ideas on providing a shelter in the large run for them, do any of you have any suggestions for me?

wilson5

Re: Rain/weather shelter for Chickens?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 12:04 »
We are currently getting polycarbonate left overs from local double glazing firm, the stuff they have left over after doing conservs,why not cover one corner of your run with something like that so they still have some cover but it does not block any light. 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 12:27 »
Strangely enough, that's what I've got!  an old nursery barrow with old polycarbonate on top and on one side, the chooks love jumping up and down the axles underneath the barrow!

Then in another run I have 2 poly sheets propped up the side of the house and they love dustbathing under there as it stays dry unless the rain is in just the wrong direction!

I've also got 2 old secondary glazed windows that are propped up the side of the house and they go behind there too.  I've got them just so that the wind doesn't blow them down.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 00:24 by GrannieAnnie »

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 19:57 »
I use an old coffee table ::) wedged in amongst the shrubs.. the house is raised too.
Jo

virgotiger

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 22:23 »
Two of mine are too daft to get out of the rain(and one of them is "top hen")...they just sit on my back door step looking all wet and  sorry for themselves..the others are all snug and dry in the shed they sleep in, i keep the door open for them all day...they dont seem to suffer from getting wet and cold!
4 kids,3 guinea pigs 1 bantam buff orpington, 1 warrens and 4 silkies...oh and a fella that thinks i'm weird!

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 08:24 »
I wish we'd never thrown away the old plastic picnic/garden table ... ideal  ::)
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

nzdunn

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 12:01 »
we do have some serious downpours over here, my girls tend to stand out in the rain, but ive put them out one of those old white plastic garden tables with the chairs up against the fence and they stand under there or under the chairs, not great but gives them a bit of shelter.   Nickyx

xx
rain shelter/smoke shelter

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 15:49
by Jellyhead
xx
Rain shelter

Started by BarnBrian on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 20:11
by karlooben
xx
winter shelter for chickens

Started by josh5357 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 20:09
by PaulineM
xx
shelter for food/water/chickens

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 09, 2011, 17:49
by ManicMum

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 38 queries.