How are your 2020 tomatoes coming along?

• 35 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: How are your 2020 tomatoes coming along?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2020, 22:04 »
OakR, that is quite a colorful assortment!

Update on my plants, all but 4 plants have at least blossoms, most of the blooming plants have some fruit set.  Most seem to be good Romas, though a few are cherry tomatoes of some type, and some may be smaller plum-shaped tomatoes.  Again, I chalk it up to seeds, I am shopping for better next year.

I'm getting a regular supply of fruits, but not in share-with-friends quantities, at least not yet.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 22:12 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2020, 21:17 »
October 3 and I am still harvesting Roma and cherry tomatoes, though with the sun lower in the sky, and days shorter and cooler (topping out in the 70s to low 80s F), the production is slowing a little.

I'm air layering a couple of cherry tomatoes just to keep the season going as long as I can.  Both plants are producing trusses, so I think I might have tomatoes into November at least; neither plant has been separated from the "mother plant" yet.  I'm also trying that with suckers on the Roma tomatoes, uncertain of success with that.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2020, 22:49 »
On my Dorset allotment the current week will be the end of actual tomato harvest. Slugs are getting active and the fruit is going past its best. I've been eating them for nine weeks. Less than last year, but still very welcome.

Fried bacon and tomatoes with crusty bread and butter is an almost spiritual experience..

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2020, 09:27 »
Here in Kaliningrad, the last few weeks have been good weather, so still picking a few cherry tomatoes every  couple of days. In fact still picking everything, although at a slower rate.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2020, 20:57 »
Coming to an end here, have managed to hold blight off until now and it’s having its wicked way with my Sungold and Black Russians. The ferline are the last to succumb as ever. I do rate them. Can’t match the transcendent experience of a ripe Black Russian with best olive oil and fresh basil, but Ferline are such a good natured tomato to grow.

Growster...

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2020, 06:26 »
We have several plants grown from seed from a 'Mountain Magic' tom, given to me two years ago, and they seem to have reverted to a very solid yellow fruit!

They're very hard, and don't seem at all bothered by the wet and cold we've had recently!

I'm watching them closely, as they are among the last of the San Marzano, which have been absolutely fabulous this year (they were recommended by many chums here, so we're very grateful), and touch wood, no blight here yet!

I suppose I must replicate the experiment I tried a few years ago, when I tried several 'Crimson Crush' plants from saved seed, and they definitely went into two camps - one was just fabulous, the other not so good! But we had the space on 'The Patch' back then...

Toms are such a staple here, I really cannot envisage a garden without them - the 65 plants we grew have given our chums enough for all the chutney in the village...

...for the next ten years...

xx
How are your 2021 tomatoes coming along?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post June 06, 2021, 17:05
by Subversive_plot
xx
Coming Soon

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 01:21
by Dan78
xx
Anyone coming for Tea!!

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 14:16
by Beetroot Queen
xx
How’s your clear up coming on?

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post November 09, 2023, 16:53
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 41 queries.