comfry

• 12 Replies

pauly58

• Experienced Member
comfry
« on: November 13, 2015, 19:14 »
has anyone in the south yorkshire area got any comfrey roots what i can put in pots and overwinter in greenhouse or do you have to start from seed
thanks
pauly

Christine

Re: comfry
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 19:34 »
You can start from seed and it gets everywhere. Better to get a root of bocking14 comfrey which is sterile and doesn't take over the world.

pauly58

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 19:45 »
thanks i send for some seeds

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 20:23 »
This would be better, I got some of these which are good for not spreading but found out there are lots of  wild comfrey growing everywhere.  :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Comfrey-Bocking-14-x-16-Root-Crown-cuttings-Free-Growing-Guide-/221926391505?hash=item33abd7fed1:g:JE4AAOxyCGNTKrwk
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 20:39 by Dantheman »
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 06:41 »
I got some bocking 14 roots off ebay this spring. I think 3 roots were about four quid delivered. they all took.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 06:47 »
thanks i send for some seeds

You kinda missed the point - Don't send for seeds Bocking 14 only grows from a cutting of the root - the other type will literally take over your plot and it's the devils own job to get rid of it. I have a comfrey bed, I bought root cuttings off ebay.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 06:50 »
The cost in the link given, is very high. Whist comfrey can be planted at this time of year, wait until spring, there will be more sellers, at a more reasonable price.

Remind me in spring. I have three very largeplants and might be able to furtle a cutting or two out.

I was going to make the same comment as cadalot - but he beat me to it!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 06:05 »
While I agree that comfrey can invade most areas if unchecked, we have a bed of the wild stuff, which we harvest twice a year and steep in water with a few nettles for feeding the leeks etc.

If it looks as though it's getting a bit rampant, I just mow it, and chuck the lot on the compost heap, where it can continue to work its wonders.

cadalot

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 07:33 »
Not so easy on the allotment next door where it is coming up inside their greenhouse and all over the plot

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 08:41 »
If you are vigilant  & dig as much out as you can every time it pops up you can control it, I know I've tried😏
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

cadalot

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 10:26 »
They guys on the plot next door are from a physically and mentally handicapped organisation and are basically carers who have little idea about gardening they didn't know what it was and what it could be used for. Now I have explained to them they have cut it all back and hopefully will continue to.

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 09:04 »
Because of the amount of bog standard comfrey on our site I decided against the blocking 14 & left it on my old site, I'd have never known which was which unless I waited for seeds to develop

cadalot

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 09:37 »
Because of the amount of bog standard comfrey on our site I decided against the blocking 14 & left it on my old site, I'd have never known which was which unless I waited for seeds to develop

Is there a problem with mixing the two?

My plan was to create bed of Comfrey at the end of my plot along the access path at the rear behind my daleks. How can you tell the difference between them is there a link that shows a difference in the flowers and seeds. I must admit I always cut off the flowers if they develop on my blocking and dispose of them in a bin off site.

In theory anything that comes up on my new plot which is not in the bed it's planted in is not blocking

xx
Comfry tea anyone

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 13:06
by arugula
xx
Comfry

Started by Jd1980 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 12, 2020, 09:15
by al78
xx
comfry

Started by bridgeford on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post February 18, 2007, 17:52
by milkman
xx
Comfry (Bocking 14)

Started by AlotArds on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 10:21
by noshed

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 36 queries.