I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes!

• 8 Replies

Casey76

Tonight I heard a bit of a rumpus in the garden, and after all of the problems I've had over the past year, I'm a bit paranoid, so i rushed out, and I saw one of my huge brahma girls being attacked... by a hedgehog!

The hedgehog was jumping up and taking chunks out of the brahmas tail, and every time the brahma turned to face it off, it attacked again.

When I got into the pen, there were fluffy brahma feathers everywhere!

Have you ever heard of anything similar?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Oh Casey, that is weird.  Do you think the hedgehog wanted the feathers to line its nest maybe??

8doubles

Hedgehogs will eat eggs and chicks if they get the chance and will push sitting birds off the nest but i have never heard of a full grown hen being attacked.
Is it possible the hog has a nest with young nearby and was trying to 'see off' any possible threat to them.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Here in NZ we have a major problem with hedgehogs as pests.  Yes, your Mrs Tiggywinkle is a nasty character when moved to a country with no predators!  :blink:

Hedgehogs are well known for attacking and killing our native birds.  They will eat the eggs and chicks, and will kill small ground-nesting birds.  When I was little I vividly remember one of our bantams being killed by a hedgehog.  Mum caught it in the act and brought the bantam inside to recover, but she had terrible injuries and died of shock.

I've never heard of a hedgehog attacking a large, healthy bird in daylight though.

evie2

Not nice Lindeggs, were they brought over by settlers the way rabbits were to Australia?

We had 2 'getting to know' one another in the garden recently, woke OH up they were so noisy and they don't half run fast.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

alancane

• Experienced Member
I haven't seen a hedgehog in years. Always saw lots when I was a child, I miss them.  :(
Alan

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Not nice Lindeggs, were they brought over by settlers the way rabbits were to Australia?

We had 2 'getting to know' one another in the garden recently, woke OH up they were so noisy and they don't half run fast.

Yes, hedgehogs and rabbits were brought here too.   ::)  Hard to believe my ancestors were so short-sighted that they couldn't see the problems they would be causing.  We see them all the time, usually squashed on the roads but also hear them rustling noisily under our bedroom windows at night.

jinty1911

Lots of squashed hedgehogs in Scotland.  I had one in the garden once ages ago but haven't seen a living one for years.  :wub:

evie2

Pity you can't send them back Lindeggs, there seems to be a shortage in some areas here.

xx
Wouldn't you think....

Started by tosca100 on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post January 06, 2014, 17:55
by splash101
xx
Ever wished you hadn't picked up the phone?

Started by GrannieAnnie on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:12
by Ma Lowe
xx
Getting evil eyes from Alphie again

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

17 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 13:07
by New shoot

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 35 queries.